Sign in to follow this  
GeorgiePie

E39 Headlight/Inidicator Fitment Query - help :(

Hey guys,

I have some aftermarket headlights installed on my E39 Touring, took it in for a WOF at the local VTNZ and it failed due to the indicator bulbs in the headlight not being secure....they were taped in by previous owner!

Is there some sort of easy fix i can do for this eg harness or bulb holder that will plug direct into the wiring harness that im already running? Im not running HID, Keen to get this sorted asap, would i need to get intouch with Miland or do some diy - which id like to avoid. Open to suggestions though :)

Thanks.

Edited by GeorgiePie

Ahhh...im sure i can make a bracket up however there must be a part im just unsure where to look or who to ask :P

I'd rather keep it clean and tidy then rough.

Have a look in the parts cat Realoem.com under headlights should show you something

First you need to confirm the type of bulb you need. In NZ P21 (clear) or PY21 (amber bulb) are common bayonet fittings but have different internal codings so you cant accidetally use the wrong bulb. Then there is the bulb socket to housing coding which is sometimes different to stop you putting a stop bulb in an indicator lamp etc, etc.

The bulb socket you linked on ebay looks to be a P21W (wedge base). It is a genuine Hella part, but it is common to have different bulbs for different markets - & that sellier looks to be american.

Suggest talking to Ray or Brent for a spare from a wrecked car.

• Like 1

First you need to confirm the type of bulb you need. In NZ P21 (clear) or PY21 (amber bulb) are common bayonet fittings but have different internal codings so you cant accidetally use the wrong bulb. Then there is the bulb socket to housing coding which is sometimes different to stop you putting a stop bulb in an indicator lamp etc, etc.

The bulb socket you linked on ebay looks to be a P21W (wedge base). It is a genuine Hella part, but it is common to have different bulbs for different markets - & that sellier looks to be american.

Suggest talking to Ray or Brent for a spare from a wrecked car.

Thanks elmarco,

The bulb type i have currently is a PY21 amber bulb - bayonet fitting. Would it matter what type of bulb i have as to what i need in terms of fitting it to the headlight? My biggest problem is getting the fitting into the rear of the headlight so that the indicator bulb and fitting are secure.

Are Ray and Brent under different usernames?

Thanks again

You can get in touch with Ray, forum sponsor want to buy section Hellbm

Brent bmworld.co.nz

• Like 1