Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

TAPPETS !!

Noisy tappets and they are a pain in the azz (louder than some one hitting the hi hat on a drum set ) . I realise there is a tool for it but i checked up with sherson auto and at the present point i will not have enough money for 2 hours labour at 70 dollars an hour + other fees just to get rid of a ticking noise. I have also checked up with them too that they dont need replacing just tuning ( as they previously did a repair on the car )

Does any one have the settings for the tappets that i should adjust to so i dont wind them too tight or loose ? cause i cant find any settings any where.

Could Some one help me out here on what to adjust to, how much etc and how much is too far ?

any help would be great

Thanks guys

Noisy tappets and they are a pain in the azz (louder than some one hitting the hi hat on a drum set ) . I realise there is a tool for it but i checked up with sherson auto and at the present point i will not have enough money for 2 hours labour at 70 dollars an hour + other fees just to get rid of a ticking noise. I have also checked up with them too that they dont need replacing just tuning ( as they previously did a repair on the car )

Does any one have the settings for the tappets that i should adjust to so i dont wind them too tight or loose ? cause i cant find any settings any where.

Could Some one help me out here on what to adjust to, how much etc and how much is too far ?

any help would be great

Thanks guys

just live with it.

Heard the new m5 idle? sounds like a noisey e30.

theres a product called something like proforma or pro something, that is meant to work really well on quieting noisey mitsi tapets.

just live with it.

No, if they are really loud then you should adjust them. Poorly adjusted tappets can either break or harm performance. I can't tell you exact specs (they are in the service manuals) but its not a difficult job, just a bit time consuming.

You should really get a new gasket but if the one on there has been recently replaced i wouldn't bother. Have a look on google, i'm sure theres a few how-tos around

Edited by petone

Does any one have a service manual or know the exact settings to set the tappets to ? or a site that i can go to, cause i cant find them any where ?

Cheers :rambo:

Cheers dude

man u are a FRECKN LIFE SAVER, ( u just saved me close to 200 dollars ), wicked

yeah theres a bit more to do to the bmw, before the small stupid problems go away

Just as a side topic how much can i score a bmw fuel pump for, for a 325i ?