Sign in to follow this  
ntaylor90

M50 318ti cert question.

Hi all.

I was browsing the certification website a while ago and came to the conclusion that I would need to get my car certified before it would get a warrant. It's had m50 instalment and manual swap, all done OEM with no modification to any mounts, brackets, etc.

I was under the assumption that it need certification; however I was talking to a friend today who put a m50 in his e30 316 and goes through warrants with no trouble at all.

What is actually required, and thanks in advance.

Nick

If you increase the power more than 25 % over standard you need a cert. I dont know how your mate is getting away with that one!! (Actually i do, the testing station guys dont know their jobs!!)

It will be pretty straight forward if its all factory parts, but they will do a brake cycle test etc.

Good luck. :)

• Like 1

If you've done everything right and take it to a VTNZ or similar there's every chance you'll never need a cert. Plainly put most inspectors have no idea what they're looking at. But by definition your car will need a cert as the E36 ti was never sold in NZ with the M5x engine. Same thing for me if I was to straight swap an M54 into my E36 sedan. Never had it from factory, must have cert. A lot of the E30 guys get away with it cause they bull$hit the inspectors and tell them the M50 was released in the E30 chassis. It does rely on getting an inspector that knows next to nothing about Bimmers, but it happens often :)

Edit: Since you've gone through all the hard work you should really play by the book. Would be horrible if you had a prang and then found yourself in a whole world of pain with your insurance because the car wasn't technically legal!

Edited by Ahmedsinc
  • Like 1

Thanks for your insightful and helpful comments gents :)

The only reason I was wondering is it would be quite nice to get off this warrant. In the next 6 months I would like to pick up a coupe and change the engine into that. Would be silly to go through the cert process if I just want to part the car in 6 months time?

It's all done nicely. All stock so relatively inconspicuous (apart from the growl at pedal to the floor instead of the pitiful gasp of the m44 haha). Just need to relocate the battery in the boot so I can get the spare wheel back in. Maybe one of those slimline batteries.

Cheers gentlemen.

ANY increase? So you could put on a nice cold air intake or some good quality headers and need a cert these days? Lol

+25% increase in power needs cert

Different block needs cert

Different head needs cert.

Different number of cyl needs cert.

Costs bugger all when you consider not having one may void insurance claims eveb if it gets a wof. And will make it much harder to sell.

Also despite being 100% factory items dont be surprised if they demand a drive shaft hoop or two

• Like 1

Thanks Jason.

If I was planning on holding onto the car for any longer than the next few months I wouldn't even be considering not getting a cert.

I guess I will see how it goes. A couple of things to fix up before WOF (due soon).

Thanks Jason.

If I was planning on holding onto the car for any longer than the next few months I wouldn't even be considering not getting a cert.

I guess I will see how it goes. A couple of things to fix up before WOF (due soon).

Hang on, a coupe? Do yourself a favour & just buy one instead. By all means, make it manual. But I'm not following the logic here? M50 ti = sweet, M50 coupe = yawn. You've got something different there dude, why tear it apart now???? No offence to coupe owners btw! :)

I guess you're right there ;) I want to head down the turbo route and I just really like the coupe shape over the Ti... It's probably just how it looks at the moment. I'd probably get the fire back when it's painted, new wheels, sitting nicer... I've just gone off the shape lately for some reason.

Turbo m50Ti... I guess that would be different which makes it cool.

Yea cert it and sell it. Worth decent money. Even if its f**ked

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Yeah technically you need a cert.

But VTNZ is pretty dum, didn't even notice my M52B28 in an e30. YOLO

• Like 1

Also despite being 100% factory items dont be surprised if they demand a drive shaft hoop or two

I got pulled up on the same thing when i got the cert done on my compact. Even though all standard parts i still needed two hoops being a two piece driveshaft.

Good point on the insurance thing too.

Edited by Steve K-B