Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

DIY CAI Setup?

Looking to put together a DIY Cold air intake for my 328i.

Will make it long ram lowered to the break duct near the bumper. Was thinking to go with plastic tubes/pipes w/silicon hose over metal pipes. however I know polished metal intake would look more appealing. Link me to stuff fellow bs members are using.

Also is it true it reduces power? I'm doing it for the sound.

Edited by MoJoJoe

I could add a small plastic duct at the botom too? Yea I just want it for the intake sound, I know there is no ~ very little gain, or sometimes worse. thats why I never bothered till now. I have heard audi guys make small holes at the side of their airbox, which gives them the sound similar to a pod filter. what if I kept the snorkel since it provides cool air from out side and drilles / hole saw some holes on the box itself? Link me to any DIY's if you have any in mind. I already have a K&N filter inside the stock airbox, but looks old, so was thinking to repalce it with a genuine BMW one since I heard K&N aren't much good and sometimes end up restricting a few hp's. for now I just want the sound. and if I can keep the stock look under the engine bay, then thats even better,

Edited by MoJoJoe

looked at some DIY's and I am doing this tomorrow, will take teh baffle out as well as the snorkel. mi snnorkel is a bit rotted/chipping away anyway, but I only kept it thinking it provided fresh air, why bother.

should I get a new K&N filter aswell, Currently have an old N&N inside which I washed with soap water but I dont have anything to re oil it, so either this old K&N filter or a new one..I was thinking to just get the BMW OEM filter from milland, I know its the better one but will the sound of the K&N be better over the stock?

pic of the euro airbox snorkel, but I dont think I am going to be doing anything like that, I'll just take the baffle and snorken and see how it goes.

169.jpg

Edited by MoJoJoe

Go to repco, get a k&n filter kit, clean the filter with the proper cleaner and re oil it, way cheaper than getting a new one. So many people get them and then never bother cleaning them - pointless!

Like 3pedals said, do the stuff that is easy to change back if you don't like it, if you are after more intake noise you could take all the sound deadening out of the engine bay too, but i wouldn't recommend it.:)

thanks andrew, will do. yea so many people dont even bother cleaning let alone recharging these. When I first took out the filter it was clogged with dust, I cleaned it up pretty good. but now it looks black and not red like the oiled ones so I thought maybe it died from being dry for years.. since it hasn't been reoiled for so long I thought of buying a new one and maintan that. But if recaharging does the job then I might aswell wash it again and reoil it with the kit and use that. :)

PS: are there any downsides of taking out the snorkel? it wont suck in hot engine air and decrease performence or something? my one is already cracked and chipping lol. I love the stock look of my engine bays so rather not get a CAI if I can mimic the sound with doing a few mods to my stock airbox without losing any torque or power curve. will have the air box out, still pondering on drilling holes at the bottom away from top hot engine air(before the filter) like the audi guys do..

okay, did that. no baffle and no snorkel but cant tell much of a diffrence of in the sound, there is a slight improvement I think.. should I cut the snorkel on the car fender side and use it as a heat shield from the engine side air??

edit: so this is what I ended up doing. I cut the area with a razor blade, I think this would prevent some of the hot air from the engine side, still keep the function of the snorkel by pushing cold air from the front to the air filter, the inlet is just bigger to keep some of the noise. hopefully this was I wont have any performence loss and still can keep the growling noise. :)

verdict?

post-51207-0-89785700-1395639204.jpg

post-51207-0-65369900-1395639220.jpg

Edited by MoJoJoe

Looks better. Engine bays can run high air pressures vs behind the headlight so may force hot air in anyway but prob the best you can do without plumbing into the brake ducts.

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

^^hence don't over oil your k&n. Mines fine. Have run it now for 10000 odd Kay's, and no maf issues.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

^^hence don't over oil your k&n. Mines fine. Have run it now for 10000 odd Kay's, and no maf issues.Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Agreed!

Have run k&n filters in my last 4 cars, have NEVER replaced a maf sensor. Also, it doesnt hurt to clean your intake system once in a while, whatever filter you run.

is it okay im running the snorkel like I am with the side cut? I wanted the sound but just not the hot air and any performence loss.

and now that i think of it, most short ram cai's without a heat shield would be worse off.

If you want to compare your mod to stock back to back, i've got a spare that you can have. It'll be in the rubbish after the weekend