Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

E30 318

I have a 23 yo daughter living in Auckland. She has so far had two Nissans. She's semi in the market for a new car, since her current one is close to 300k.

For some strange reason she likes the E30 shape, manual and also likes the 318 for low petrol costs and easier maintenance etc.

If you can put aside your performance orientation for a mo, she's not into speed or acceleration, just into a nice ride, I'd appreciate your input on the following issues: e30 318

reliability?

availability of parts?

road feel?

problem areas?

Plus any other relative info you'd like to share.

Cheers,

Rog

Edited by Jazzbass

Personally I love the little e30s. I ve found the e30 to be very reliable and very d.i.y and since theres heaps of people with e30s on this site theres a lot of us that will be keen as to help out. Ive found that for my own case any way. As well as that I love the way every thing is so easy to get to in the engine bay I mean it was a mission to get my mates exhaust manifold out of his jappa. My e30 is on 412000k's the only jappa that ive seen with that many k's was on the scrap heap

For some strange reason she likes the E30 shape.

reliability?

availability of parts? Mot too bad, most of anything is available second hand for around half the price.

road feel?

problem areas?

What do you mean strange reason, they're fantastic cars ... why wouldnt she want one :P.

This here is a buyers guide - > give it a read and it will make you aware of where to look for the problem areas -> good indication for rust spots etc. Follow all those guidelines and you should come off with a great E30.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php...30+buyers+guide

As long as you take care and service your E30, and the previous owners have you should not have a problem with realiability of the car.

Parts generally are available unless its something tricky which they can still get but may have to bring in stock. Most parts are generally available at wreckers or on trademe / here for around half the price.

Road feel is great, good handling and it looks nice. Track suspension is way to soft, but she wont be trying to corner at that sorta speed.

Good luck, Cheers

Andy

Edited by E30stz

I would go for the pre f/l with the M10 (chain driven cam) motor, it is a far better motor than the later cambelt driven M40 motor. (these motors had a nasty habit of breaking cambelts).

I have owned a few 318's (wife driven, too slow for me..) and found the car economical and actuall handles well because the motor is light compared to the M20 motor.

As with any e30, rust can be an issue so best looked over by someone who is familiar with the e30 rust spots. I'm sure that there are any number of us up here in the Akl region who could look over any car she is interested in.

Have a look at my post (3rd down) in that Bimmer Trouble thread. Parts are easy as to find and reasonably cheap. The M10 is supposed to be gutless but bullitproof and I'd have to agree with that. Rust would be the biggest concern IMO.

Guest Andrew

Only issue i had with my M10 was a water pump - was a very reliable car. Handling is good - def add rear sway.

Aside from that just normal e30 things go wrong - would recommend a jappa import over anything NZ new or UK.

Only issue i had with my M10 was a water pump - was a very reliable car. Handling is good - def add rear sway.

Aside from that just normal e30 things go wrong - would recommend a jappa import over anything NZ new or UK.

Is that just becuase they normally have more options or do you reckon they're more reliable? Mine is NZ new and has virtually no extras but has been so reliable. Agree on rear sway, so worth it for the $50 - $70 it will cost you. Way more stable at higher speeds and when cornering.

Guest Andrew

Is that just becuase they normally have more options or do you reckon they're more reliable? Mine is NZ new and has virtually no extras but has been so reliable. Agree on rear sway, so worth it for the $50 - $70 it will cost you. Way more stable at higher speeds and when cornering.
Rust was a factor mainly

Haven't seen a rusty Jappa yet.