Sign in to follow this  
DestRoYeDnz

BMW Keys (e46)

Hey Guys,

With my BMW i received 2 Keys

post-51404-0-22300800-1397600303.png

My car has automatic Boot release, Would i be correct that there was a Key with Boot release for this car but it may have been Misplaced over time?

Uncut-Blade-font-b-Key-b-font-Remote-fon

I could be wrong, but it might be that you hold one of the buttons for longer to open the boot? Maybe button 2 for 2 seconds or something?

My key has the boot button so im just guessing!

Thanks Andrew :)

That was initially what i Tried but Holding Unlock Open the Windows and Sunroof and Holding Lock Closes the Windows/Sunroof.

Being a 99 car it should have a key shape as in the larger oval style. The diamond shape is a later type. There originally would have been two of these (master) + a valet & a service key. How do you know your car has boot release function?

The button on the right at the bottom is the boot release..Speaking of keys, I have 4...Master key, a backup, a service key and a valet key. One is plastic.

Didn`t mean I could open the boot for a week though.

Ooh hang on..am I looking at the picture of the factory key and not the one you`ve got ?? Time for bed...

Hey hotwire, Jonesey

Just going on the fact it has a soft button to release the boot down by the Bonnet release and not a manual cable controlled boot release, The Boot also wont open if the car is unlocked with the valet key but if Unlocked by my 2 button key(remote) it then will open.

I Have the larger Oval Key but only the 2 Button version not the one including the Boot release button. Just wondering if it would have initially also had a 3 Botton large oval Key with it.

Boot opening button means nothing as to it having remote boot open function. It is merely electrically controlled rather than cable operated.

You are correct that the boot (& glove box) won't open when using the Valet (or plastic service key if you still had one) - the whole point of this so that personal items can be locked away for valet parking etc.

I don't recall E46's having remote boot open feature. My 99 E39 doesn't either

Edit: I too have all 4 original keys. The plastic service key would be a right pain in the arse to have to use

Edited by hotwire

I don't recall E46's having remote boot open feature. My 99 E39 doesn't either

My old one did. I always thought it was standard issue, but i guess it could have been an option.

Am i correct in saying that the two button key is an infrared key used on jap imports, whilst the NZDM ones had the 3 button radio key? This has been the case on my previous BMWs.

My old JDM E46 323i (pretty low spec) had a interior boot release button, as did my JDM E39 525i. Both had the two button key, with no remote boot release on key.

Edited by KwS