Sign in to follow this  
roo

AC Type 3 on E34 - Hub Ring Question

Hi team

I have an E34 540i, recently fitted some AC Schnitzer Tye III's from an E39 and they are causing a pretty nasty shake at speed - wrong hub rings. My E34 with ACS Type I's have flat metal hub rings, these don't work in the III's. The III's have sloped green ones. Any idea what size I need? And best place to get them from?

Thanks!

Edited by roo

You talking about these ones?

72.6>74.1

Yeah that does sound like the right size. Where is best to purchase them. Would prefer aluminium over plastic.

Yeah dont buy plastic ones, break instantly. I got 4x thru a local tyre shop here for $55, they had to ring suppliers in Auckland to get them.

You can get them ebay etc for cheap, but as for local you'd have to ring around or maybe else from Auckland here knows.

Our sponsor is the obvious one we should be getting all of these sorts of things from. You have to use aluminum. E34's are soo fussy with anything in the front you cant really cheat anywhere. You HAVE to spend the extra.

I wonder if I should be looking at something like these too. Being a bit (well a lot) ignorant of BMW eccentricities I've noticed a shake at speed. Nothing horrendous but a definite shimmy. Reduced somewhat with a wheel alignment recently though I did notice when wheels were being rotated (back switched to front) the rear hub had a bit of electrical tape wrapped around it..

Same vehicle - 18" Schnitzer type 2's.

I tracked down some rings and the wobble is considerably better but still there. The 18" Type III's have green plastic rings in them already, these were a perfect fit on E39. So I had to use the rings I bought inside the green plastic rings so it goes: wheel - hub ring 1 - hub ring 2 - hub. Is this right? Seems like way too much flimsy plastic sitting in between the wheels and my hubs.

Who else has successfully put 18 Type III's on an E34?

Edited by roo

If they're like mine they're designed to have a clip in spacer so have had the centre bores taking way out. I got a mate to make me up a set of rings so I can run them with 20mm spacers. Your best bet will be to take the car and wheels in and get them to measure centre bore without ring and your hub and get a ring made up to fit that

Edit. Also I run e39 wheels on both my e36s without rings and both drive fine. But that's maybe due to being lighter than an e34. Have you checked if wheels are straight and balanced?

Edited by euroriffic

Doesn't read right to me, regardless of my ignorance. One piece of flimsy plastic should do it, two pieces to center the wheel seems a bit of a stretch.

The research I've done turns up the same info as already listed above by Eagle.

Hub 74.1 - 72.6 Wheel.

At least you've got plastic rings. Mine are broken metal rings stitched together with electrical tape :-/

I scoured ebay and turned up what I believe is the right fit posted above by eagle. So if they work for me chances are they'll work for you and you're welcome to the extra set I purchased. Pay or replace or whatever. If it's right it's probably wise for us both to have an extra set stashed and handy anyway.

Ta, Rod.

I used insulation tape. for 74.1-72.6

but it sounds like the type3's have an even bigger CB than 74?

so you need to get some rings that go from the inside of the type3's to 72.x

Edited by antil33t

I used insulation tape. for 74.1-72.6

but it sounds like the type3's have an even bigger CB than 74?

so you need to get some rings that go from the inside of the type3's to 72.x

This is what I'm thinking. Will pull them off again and measure the CB without any rings and then find the correct ring to go from AC CB xx.x - E34 72.6.

Edited by roo

Done some more research, sounds like Type 3's needed coloured rings depending on application. Type 3 CB is 82mm so it will work on both 74 and 72 applications.

Green rings (what my wheels have) go from 82mm to E39/74.1 http://shop.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/turquoise-spigot-ring-e39-3573-p.asp

Orange rings (what I need or equivalent aftermarket) go from 82mm to E34/72.6 http://shop.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/orange-spigot-ring-3572-p.asp

Edited by roo