Sign in to follow this  
Matth5

Cracked Aluminium rims, repairable?

Hi,

Any recommendations on what to do about this?

BMW Style 32 wheels, 18 inch.

Pic below is the right rear wheel. Left one has a crack starting to develop as well.

Who can repair these and at what cost?

I believe these are cast aluminium which might be difficult to weld.

If anyone has some used replacements I'd be interested as well. Not paying for brand new ones.

Specs: 18 x 8.5J, IS 50

Bottom pic isn't mine, mine aren't quite that perfect. Just showing what they look like.

alloyCrack.jpg

style32.jpg

Try mac weld in drury

Thanks, I sent them an email.

Interesting to see the local parts suppliers ect are on this forum. I've purchased some parts from you before.

Rimrite.co.nz Warren knows his sh*t and has been doing wheels for years. Though is in palmy.

I should have mentioned, I'm in Auckland. Sending it to Palmy wouldn't be worth it unless it was my only option, then I suppose I could arrange something.

Got a quote from Jason at Macweld so far.

Looks like it'll be cheaper than replacing them so I reckon I'll get them fixed.

Thanks guys :)

• Like 1

Well I've decided to get another set because I actually found another set that I liked (AC Type 3 Racing, 17 inch knock-offs that look pretty decent).

Macwelds quote was good (~140 each, Jason's estimate based on email pics). So I'll see if someone else would like to buy them and take care of that :)

If anyone is interested:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?ed=true&id=731109544

wheelfixit but might be a bit more on the $$$ side

If you get a quote from Wheel-fix-it, I know an engineer that can fix mags. He will give you a better price if you provide a quote from another shop.

Based in Auckland, North shore.

Hi Evo30, care to send me his details? Decided to get them fixed as I don't like the new set I've got, nothing looks better to me than the style 32s.

Haven't got around to dealing with it yet as work has been sending me all over the place so I've barely even seen my own car lately...

Dropped them off at Brugar Engineering for repair. Not the cheapest, but they're near a friends place who I visit so it's not out of my way.

If I went to Macweld I would have spent much of the difference on petrol, sadly.

Edited by Matth5

Fixed, tyres re-mounted, wheels back on the car with good tyres.

Looking like this again:

post-51449-0-44170500-1400418161.jpg
Can see the lumps of weld on the repair spots and the tyre shop had to re-balance the wheels with new weights to account for the repair. They ride smoothly with no vibration so it's all good.
Edited by Matth5