Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

my car is manual!!!!

yeah - too poor to do diff right now - other commitments. I do 109 at 3500rpm in 5th.

Edit: which according to Carls spreadsheet I have a 4.44 and since they did make a 4.44 in my build year, looks like I got lumbered with this whore of a diff. Anyone got a 3.91 lying about?

Guzzling gas like no tomorrow.

project for early in the new year. got some minor but urgent maintenance to do right now, so everything else on hold.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

How much dose a manual gear box wiegh approx? Would it be ok in the boot of an e30?

no prob. pick one up by yourself. auto is a 2 person lift to be safe unless you like to pwnyour back to prove a point.

As far as manual gearbox choices go are there any which would match up better to the

lower ratio diffs like if you were stuck with a 4.10 or 4.27 would there be any difference

fitting a getrag 240 or 260?

GETRAG 240.0.0366.90 225 3.1 240.00460.90 062408 AMS

These numbers mean nothing to me.

Not sure C&D but mines a 240 and I'm relatively sure I have a 4.44. Drivable, but I really don't like it. My mates think its cool winding it up with such low ratio, but they're not the ones paying the gas bill.

Hey mate I didn't read karls post about ratio's but I'm pretty sure you gota be in 4th gear to work out your diff ratio because 4th is usually 1:1 where as 5th is an over drive.That would mean you gotta ridiculas ratio up back.

Sorry C&D don't know for sure, but I think it is doable without too much stress, but ask around a bit more - don't take my word for it.

SRBMW - I used Carls spreadsheet - it takes into account what gear you are in and applies the correct ratio for that gear in that box.

Guest Andrew

Any chance a E21 323i manual gear box will fit an E30 without fabrication?

as long as you are facelift then probably yes.

the pre FL motronic (not sure about l jet) uses pickup points for RPM and crank angle on the box housing....facelift doesnt need this as they are elsewhere. so the box can be anything that actually fits

all m20 boxes seem to be pretty good.

(not sure about l jet)

Ljet dosent have the pick up points, hence why I had trouble since i was chucking a Ljet box into my 5, bein motronic, and what a bitch it was to find a 2nd hand motronic f/w

Guest Andrew

Ljet dosent have the pick up points, hence why I had trouble since i was chucking a Ljet box into my 5, bein motronic, and what a bitch it was to find a 2nd hand motronic f/w

it has cutouts in the bell housing - so you could install them - probably be a PITA though.

Guest Andrew

So guys I am starting to get a little lost, what is meant by motronic F/W?

E28 basically pre F/L therefore same problem with pick-up points ?

are you talking about an E28 or your car.

If you car is facelfit - any e30 m20 gearbox will work in it.

If its pre-facelift - then a pre facelift gearbox needs to go in it.

Sorry,

I was refering to BMW sparkles 5 series he was talking about.

Is it the same situation with the M30 motors and gearbox as far as mating an earlier

box with either FL or pre FL model?

What I didnt get was what is a Motronic f/w ?