Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

my car is manual!!!!

Its now manual, with a 4.1 diff, lol.

kinda funny with 4.1 saving for a newy now prob a 3.63 i suppose.

Heres the full costs:

Box $500 (Trade me) :mosh:

Pedal box $120

Flywheel $100

Clutch kit $120 - mint deal so if you are converting you'd need $350ish..

Shifter linkage etc $60

New resiviour and piping $50 (OEM from dealership)

New master cylinder $95 (BNT)

Driveshaft Lengthened $165 (circle track engineering chch)

Slave cylinder $50

All parts were from a wreckers and were really good bits, the clutch was 2nd hand but had almost no use, the flywheel was still shiny and the clutch almost untouched.

Total cost was $1400

Cant remember all the bits cos im to lazy to get the docket out of the car so ask me if you want to know, thought this may be helpfull as i wanted as much info on prices when i started doing it.

Cheers!

Autos are bad. <_<

Edited by nz320i

Done your first burnout yet? (Controlled cirumstances of course)

If your box is in pretty good nick get yourself a short shifter. Also what did model did your box come out of? 320, 325? I think a 3.63 might be a bit low for 320i. My mates 320i was a 3.91 factory. Talk to carl, hes been through a few diffs.

i was quite lucky it came out of the same year and model 320i,

might go for a 3.91 then, you can take off the 2nd!

My box came off a 320i sport (SA), and so is slightly closer anyway for that extra go off the mark - NEEED a new diff and thinking 3.73 or 3.91. My total was $1800 and I used fully new clutch (but not master and slave) had to buy some tools and did the short shift conv, so pretty much apples for apples.

Congrats on getting it finished Cameron - how's my shifter doing? lol You forgot that in your costing - a steal at $35 incl. postage hah!

Can someone tell me whether it would be worth me swapping to a 4.10? I have a 3.91 atm. I've had a look at Carl's spreadsheet but I don't know how much extra pick up i'd get. I can think of someone who might want to swap diffs...

(assuming they are they same case size)

Yeah cam Im running S3.07 too as mine is the same from when it was converted from auto. I'm probably going to look at 3.46 though.

I heard from somewhere that it's a good idea to stay within two stages of your current diff - anyone agree? I also looked around and read that 3.64 is probably the best all round for teh e28 manual.

Dont know though - Ebay is selling a couple of S3.25 diffs at the mo though.

u can always chuck a different crown wheel and pinion into ur slippy and make it a different ratio, thats what i may do. im gona go for a 3.46 i think, probably because its sitting in my shed at the mo :P

is that quite hard?

I wouldnt mind two diffs reason being is I can change it depending on the track. the 3.07 would be much better for Puke than it is at fielding.

haha mines manual and i never had to do sh*t..

Got LSD?

damn right i do.

haha mines manual and i never had to do sh*t..

haha mines safe and i didn't have to do sh*t.

oh and it's rwd and i didn't have to do sh*t.

oh but your bike now that is hot, lsd haha, no sh*t, locked you mean.

haha mines safe and i didn't have to do sh*t.

oh and it's rwd and i didn't have to do sh*t.

oh but your bike now that is hot, lsd haha, no sh*t, locked you mean.

werd y0!

My box came off a 320i sport (SA), and so is slightly closer anyway for that extra go off the mark - NEEED a new diff and thinking 3.73 or 3.91. My total was $1800 and I used fully new clutch (but not master and slave) had to buy some tools and did the short shift conv, so pretty much apples for apples.

Congrats on getting it finished Cameron - how's my shifter doing? lol You forgot that in your costing - a steal at $35 incl. postage hah!

oh its chris but lol umm i didnt use it!?! its in my tool box the wrecker had a fully built one and said just use that so if anyone wants a shifter?? lol :P

sorry chris - who the hell is cameron?

bugger about the shifter.

Hey, did you change the fluid in the box, and if you did how did you get the plug out?

You need either an extremely large allen key or use the poor man's method and find a large bolt that'll fit into the plug then use a pipe wrench on the bolt to undo the nut, works quite well.

Hey, did you change the fluid in the box, and if you did how did you get the plug out?

17mm allen key.

I will beguin looking for parts for a manual conversion soon, I didnt really want to have to buy a diff as well but its probally inevitable.

I dont fully understand what the effects of keeping the 4.27 would be.

Would it be a total bitch? :unsure:

yes used castrol VMX, and lol the plug was a mission until the guy helping me (wrecker/mechanic) made up a bolt that fitted the allen key hole with a massive lever on it, welder, and got it open that way, otherwise allen keys arent too expensive

I will beguin looking for parts for a manual conversion soon, I didnt really want to have to buy a diff as well but its probally inevitable.

I dont fully understand what the effects of keeping the 4.27 would be.

Would it be a total bitch? :unsure:

lol 4.27, well it would be nippy off the line but youd be chopping through gears like me i imagine, mines a 4.1 and at 100km/h im doing 3500rpm which in my opinion is too high for a car that has that much tourqe??

anyone agree?

sorry chris - who the hell is cameron?

bugger about the shifter.

still running the 4.1? i will have to get a new one soon.. too many revs at 100km/h aye??