Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

Oil pressure feed?

Guys, have bought an oil pressure gauge for my E36 due to the known issue with oil surge with the S50 (havent had an issue yet but don't want one either).

Where is the best place to plumb the sender into, only place I can think of is in place of the pressure switch on the oil filter housing?

Any race guys done this?

Not too sure on your motor but it would be 'normal' to put a tee in where the light sender is and run your gauge sender and switch off the tee.Might be a mission getting a tee with the right threads though ! Is it electric or mechanical? We used to have a lot of problems with the electric sender units and most guys ended up changing back to mechanical.

Electric sensor, not a fan of mechanical.

The tee idea is a good one, can get one made easily enough as i assume gauge sender thread will be different anyway.

I was given some advise to run a flexable line from the housing to the T that I mounted on the body of the car. Saves the T from vibrating and causing it to crack.

Sounded legit to me so I followed it.

Just something to thing about

Cheers steve, will see my machinist tomorrow, see what we can mock up.

Yup agree with steve. Lots of vibration which is bad for brass which most fitting seem to be made of. either flex line or stainless fittings. Remote mount is bad for temp readings but fine for pressure

I run a tee for oil on the E30 & there has been no issue. Do agree that there is potential for on a harsh engine - solid mounts etc, but on a street car, vibration is very minimal.

Mine is mounted so that there is minimal leverage on it though. VDO do a tee

Yeah mine is standard mounts so stuff all vibration. Will see what i come up with.

Cheers guys.

Right got a t piece in the making.

T piece failed due to oil temp sensor right next to pressure sensor. New plan is to run stainless hose to remote location.