Sign in to follow this  
jaimzthedrummer

Pukekohe 17th May

Hey guys,

I've made a snap decision to head to Pukekohe this Saturday and try out a new track (I've only driven Hampton Downs so far).

Details are here: http://www.countiesracing.co.nz/motor-racing/?contentid=13&bookingid=2620

It's only $90 for the day. I think they divide it into sessions (bikes, cars, single seaters) depending on what turns up, but getting there early should mean some good track time.

I'll also have ex-BMW open class winner Andre Cowan with me, giving me some instruction (my car used to belong to his dad). I'm sure he'd be happy to share his time around a bit if any other bimmers turn up.

Be good to see some of you there. I'll give more notice next time!

James

Good stuff, enjoy James. Andre would be a good person to learn from a great peddler who can get his point across well.

Fingers crossed it stays dry, Pukekohe is a real bitch in the wet and it bites hard.

Thanks Jon. It's looking to be a fine and sunny day.

Andre's taken me around in his race car before, and yeah... those barriers seemed real close at times! Hope my suspension soaks up those bumps on the home straight okay.

Just a quick note about this Puke track day I went to on Saturday.

It was utterly fantastic! The track is pretty dodgy in places but it all just added to the whole seat-of-the-pants feel.

Turn 1 is quite daunting. I was taking it at around 150kph and the bumps mean the rear was doing these little micro-slides all the way around. I didn't feel I was in danger of losing traction altogether though and my confidence around the track just gradually built up as the day went on.

I had one brief excursion on the grass at turn 6 (took too much speed into the corner), but the M3 handled that - and everything else - very well.

I think the main thing I need to work on is dealing with distractions (like cars in my rear-view mirror, and getting my heel-toe technique more ingrained) so I can focus on a consistent line. Andre said I did every corner perfectly... just not all in the same lap. :-)

All in all, about 85kms of track driving, top speed north of 180kph and a whole lot of driving experience. All for only $90.

I'll definitely be going back. :-)

Mate of mine was there in his primera, saw some of his video footage and your M3 looks like a nice example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear it all went well James.

Sounds like you have been bitten by the bug..... addictive isn't it??

There is another Puke day on the 31st.

James and I will be there testing the Endurance E30. Come on down and see a seriously quick E30.

Mate of mine was there in his primera, saw some of his video footage and your M3 looks like a nice example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the Primera dude (Sam I think..?) and I had a good chat. He was doing really well in that thing. Owned me in the corners with the semi-slicks he was running. To be honest he may have owned me in the corners anyway!

Glad to hear it all went well James.

Sounds like you have been bitten by the bug..... addictive isn't it??

Yeah, it really is. I'm thinking I won't be able to go to tooooo many more track days before I start pricing up an E30 racer!

Thanks for the comments guys. ^_^

If your looking for an E30 BMW class car, let me know as a good friend is selling his and it's a genuinely tidy and good running car.

Yeah, the Primera dude (Sam I think..?) and I had a good chat. He was doing really well in that thing. Owned me in the corners with the semi-slicks he was running. To be honest he may have owned me in the corners anyway!

Yeah, it really is. I'm thinking I won't be able to go to tooooo many more track days before I start pricing up an E30 racer!

Thanks for the comments guys. ^_^

There is another Puke day on the 31st.

James and I will be there testing the Endurance E30. Come on down and see a seriously quick E30.

Is that the turbo S14 that was in NZPC recently?

The Turbo S14 is Shane Helms Enduro Racer, the "Golden Homes" M3, another insanely quick E30.

Driftit and Jamez are running an E30 with S50B32 motor in it, M3 wide body flares, very stripped out and lightened, and seriously quick car.

And if Jamez has got round to tightening all the bolts up, it goes round corners pretty well too!!

Ah, thanks. I saw the Golden Homes M3 testing at Puke earlier this month, looked great and certainly went quick. I'll be at Puke again on the 31st in a 944, will look out for enduro E30s. :)

Id be keen. Any one i cn contact for this

After what I witnessed at the last Puke track day I attended it's the last place I'd go!

Edited by Red Dwarf
  • Like 1