Sign in to follow this  
qwertyk1d

Shudder when taking off in 1st

It just started happening today, if I rev it really high and release the clutch its more or less okay, but if I take off normally, the car shudders quite violently. Is this the clutch burning out or another problem? Anyone had this?

If it goes away with higher revs then ya you have a clutch issue

yes clutch worn out ,

Check center bearing on drive shaft first before looking at clutch

Mine has started shuddering over the last couple of weeks when cold, goes away after a few km of driving. Can the colder weather effect it? Is there a leak that's letting in moisture or something?

I've only been driving it once a week.

It seems to coincide with the car being jacked up from the rear today getting my wheel balance rechecked. Could there be some oil leaking onto the clutch or something? Just trying to find a reason it just started now??

I was going to say. I once had a problem like this with my old car - thought it could be clutch alignment or something similar for a long time.

In the end I discovered the rear oil seal had essentially fallen out after we rebuilt the motor... Not a huge amount of oil escaped in to the bell housing, but obviously enough to coat the clutch. Used to shudder like mad. There was a sweet spot higher in the revs where you could get it to bind smoothly, and would be worse when I just started driving after a period of parking up (as I probably hadn't burnt the oil off yet).

Are they a hydraulic clutch in E30's? If so, check the slave cylinder isnt leaking fluid. The first giveaway for this would be no clutch (as in the pedal goes straight to the floor) or brake fluid leaking under the bellhousing.

I currently have the same problem with my 1990 318i, was looking at buying a whole new clutch but will check slave cylinder and seal first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There hasn't been a noticeable change in the clutch firmness or anything so I don't think its anything effecting hydraulic pressure. It just seems odd that it coincided with the car being jacked at one end, like oil in the bellhousing was moved around and went on the clutch or something? Seems to be working fine today, maybe its something that needs to be looked at.