Sign in to follow this  
d.p.n.s

will an auto hold up to a turbo motor.

hi all

just wondering if the factory auto will hold up to a m50b25 turbo.

not really wanting to go manual.

I've spent a lot of time with Porsche 928s. Typically, the standard autobox fitted to them is expected to handle more power and torque than the manuals.

That's not always the case.

Ultimately, the way you drive will be more important than the gearbox you use. Slamming an auto through the gears will break it.

the reason im asking is this is my daily driver a 93 e34 touring and im wanting to make a wee bit of a sleeper out of it.

im planning on using a 1uz-fe auto and turboing it......but if the bmw autos are upto it I may consider turboing the m50b25.

I know the 1uz auto is up to it

It's not the first time it has been done, but those conversions I've seen using the Lexus V8 have also used the Lexus gearbox. See here for one example.

There was an E28 ex-535i fitted with a Lexus V8 for sale on TradeMe recently, also (I think) turbo'd. IIRC that used the Lexus 'box.

It's not the first time it has been done, but those conversions I've seen using the Lexus V8 have also used the Lexus gearbox. See here for one example.

There was an E28 ex-535i fitted with a Lexus V8 for sale on TradeMe recently, also (I think) turbo'd. IIRC that used the Lexus 'box.

ive got a 1uz in my e30 but I made that manual.....doing the 1uz swap is easy .....but if the factory bmw auto can handle say 10lb max then I might be keen or doing a m50b25 turbo this time around.

If you wanted to make an M50 turbo you'd have to find an autobox that easily works.... you'd need it's original gearbox(easier to manual convert than wire in an extra e30's worth of sh*t)

the ZF4HP22 can handle boost, but again why, it'd be dumb.

• Like 1