Sign in to follow this  
Neal

E30 M3 Possible to import ?

First post and all , had a few BMW's of the years , E21 323i , E30 323i , E36 318i & E36 325i. Good to see a board dedicated to BMW's. For the audio guys my E21 323i might have had the first Sub fitted to a BMW in NZ (Back in 1987)

Thought I'd check with any of the members to see if my idea is possible ...

I'm living in London at the moment and will return to NZ next year.

I'm thinking of buying a E30 M3 and importing to NZ as the prices here are low (5000 -7000 pounds). I've always lusted over the first M3's. I'd like one for a Sunday driver and the odd bit of motorsport :thumb:

Most of the versions here are the LHD versions and only a few have been converted to RHD by Birds London. RHD E30 M3's in NZ are rare as hens teeth and the prices are high.

My questions are to anyone that might know

Would I be able to buy say an 1986-1988 , convert it to RHD and wait until it's 20 years old to road register it.

Who converted the NZ new E30 M3's to RHD

Thanks

Neal

Welcome

You have to import it after it is 20 years old...or bring it over, wait till it is 20 years old, export it (say to Australia) and then re-import it.

Do a search, this topis has been done plenty of times already.

Cheers

Grant

Oh yeah, Road and Track in Rotorua seems to have RHD converted any M3's I have seen here.

But why convert it to RHD, leave it how it is meant to be.

Oh yeah, Road and Track in Rotorua seems to have RHD converted any M3's I have seen here.

But why convert it to RHD, leave it how it is meant to be.

Thanks Grant , sorry for the repeat post and thanks for the info.

Hopefully I can find an 1986 to bring back next year. Re-export / import sounds like a hassle. I guess that leaves out the Evo1/II options , but can always to the 2.5 upgrade in the future.

In regards to wanting RHD is because for the odd bid of motorsport use and after 14 years behind the wheel of an E30 I'd rather rely on gut reaction rather than re-learning a lhd. Bad enough going from wifes auto to the manual let alone going to a lhd not to mention the motorcycle :blink: Sounds like the E36 M3 rack is the way to go !.

From my understand if you've owned the vehicle overseas for more than 90 days and it is in LHD form you can legally import it and register it - ie. it is exempt from the frontal impact rules. The LHD exemption however provides that you can only register one such vehicle in any given 5 year period and once registered in NZ you can't sell it for at least 5 years from date of first registration.

Full info here:

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/12.html

Under the Traffic Regulations 1976, it’s generally illegal to operate a LHD vehicle on New Zealand roads. However, some specific exemptions have been made to this law. The main exemptions are listed below. (Make sure you also read the requirements for each exempted category, which follow the list.)

A motor car or goods service vehicle that meets all of the following criteria:

A gross vehicle mass of not more than 3,500 kilograms

Imported by you, for your own personal use

Manufactured less than 20 years before the date it was imported

You have registered, owned and operated the vehicle overseas, for 90 days or more

In a five-year period, you can only register one such vehicle in New Zealand

The vehicle must be registered in the importer’s name (i.e. your name) for at least five years after it’s first registration in New Zealand unless the vehicle is 20 years old or more.

Requirements for a light vehicle less than 20 years old when imported

As the importer of the vehicle, you must be resident in New Zealand, at least 15 years of age, and the first registered owner of the vehicle here.

When you register the vehicle for use on New Zealand roads, you’ll need to sign a declaration stating the vehicle is for your personal use and that you intend to keep it for at least five years after its registration in New Zealand, or until it is at least 20 years old, whichever is the earlier.

You’ll also have to provide evidence that you’ve owned and operated the vehicle, and that it was registered in your name, in another country for no less than 90 consecutive days immediately before the vehicle was shipped to New Zealand.

You must sign a declaration that you haven’t registered another vehicle in this category in the last five years.

From the link above I would say you'd be able to import any generation of E30 M3s PROVIDED IT IS IN LHD form and you can prove to the LTSA that you owned it in England for over 90 days and used it personally for over 90 days. You can then import it and sign a declaration that this vehicle is for personal use in NZ (provided you are a NZ citizen) and further state that this vehicle will not be sold within 5 years or before it reaches 20 years since manufacture - oh and you must not have imported such a vehicle within the last 5 years in NZ.

If in doubt email LTSA, I am sure they'd be more than happy to help. Also it'd be a good idea to have something in writing from LTSA directly stating that the above exemption rule is still in force.

The anomoly in the exemption rule above is also the fact that there's no law stopping you from converting it into RHD once it is legally registered for road use in NZ.

Hope the above helps.

Edited by M3_Power

Brillant , thanks for the info. Looks like I'll need to get onto it shortly to get within the 90 day period.

Wow! Loophole??

Import a 1986 or newer LHD m3 from the UK by going over there for a 3-4 month holiday (say your OE) then it'll be over 20 years old within a couple ofyears anyway IF you want to sell it.

I should make my OE in the next year or so in that case. Or I could wait till after 2008 and import as a classic, but then HAS to be RHD. I prefer RHD, but LHD doesn't worry me. The Willys is LHD - makes parallel parking easy as you'er on the correct side of the vehicle for visibility.

I should make my OE in the next year or so in that case. Or I could wait till after 2008 and import as a classic, but then HAS to be RHD. I prefer RHD, but LHD doesn't worry me. The Willys is LHD - makes parallel parking easy as you'er on the correct side of the vehicle for visibility.

I think classics are allowed to be LHD also - they just fall under a different exemption from that previously quoted.

Neal,

You could always give this guy a ring and talk.

Trademe M3

Probably wants more than the opening bid, but by the time you take into account shipping, duty, GST etc, it might be worth a phone call.

'course you gotta wait another 2 yrs...

Edited by EuroBoy

From my understand if you've owned the vehicle overseas for more than 90 days and it is in LHD form you can legally import it and register it - ie. it is exempt from the frontal impact rules. The LHD exemption however provides that you can only register one such vehicle in any given 5 year period and once registered in NZ you can't sell it for at least 5 years from date of first registration.

Full info here:

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/12.html

Under the Traffic Regulations 1976, it’s generally illegal to operate a LHD vehicle on New Zealand roads. However, some specific exemptions have been made to this law. The main exemptions are listed below. (Make sure you also read the requirements for each exempted category, which follow the list.)

A motor car or goods service vehicle that meets all of the following criteria:

A gross vehicle mass of not more than 3,500 kilograms

Imported by you, for your own personal use

Manufactured less than 20 years before the date it was imported

You have registered, owned and operated the vehicle overseas, for 90 days or more

In a five-year period, you can only register one such vehicle in New Zealand

The vehicle must be registered in the importer’s name (i.e. your name) for at least five years after it’s first registration in New Zealand unless the vehicle is 20 years old or more.

Requirements for a light vehicle less than 20 years old when imported

As the importer of the vehicle, you must be resident in New Zealand, at least 15 years of age, and the first registered owner of the vehicle here.

When you register the vehicle for use on New Zealand roads, you’ll need to sign a declaration stating the vehicle is for your personal use and that you intend to keep it for at least five years after its registration in New Zealand, or until it is at least 20 years old, whichever is the earlier.

You’ll also have to provide evidence that you’ve owned and operated the vehicle, and that it was registered in your name, in another country for no less than 90 consecutive days immediately before the vehicle was shipped to New Zealand.

You must sign a declaration that you haven’t registered another vehicle in this category in the last five years.

From the link above I would say you'd be able to import any generation of E30 M3s PROVIDED IT IS IN LHD form and you can prove to the LTSA that you owned it in England for over 90 days and used it personally for over 90 days. You can then import it and sign a declaration that this vehicle is for personal use in NZ (provided you are a NZ citizen) and further state that this vehicle will not be sold within 5 years or before it reaches 20 years since manufacture - oh and you must not have imported such a vehicle within the last 5 years in NZ.

If in doubt email LTSA, I am sure they'd be more than happy to help. Also it'd be a good idea to have something in writing from LTSA directly stating that the above exemption rule is still in force.

The anomoly in the exemption rule above is also the fact that there's no law stopping you from converting it into RHD once it is legally registered for road use in NZ.

Hope the above helps.

But if they are less than 20yrs old and built before 1996 then the frontal impact rule would still make them un-registerable in NZ!?!?!?!

Neal,

You could always give this guy a ring and talk.

Trademe M3

Probably wants more than the opening bid, but by the time you take into account shipping, duty, GST etc, it might be worth a phone call.

'course you gotta wait another 2 yrs...

That one is tempting , but I think I can do better price wise , a silver 1988 sold for 4800 pounds a couple of days ago or 12,000 nz had 150,000 km on the clock in very good condition, I get free shipping on return to NZ (Wife works for shipping company) so only need to pay GST / Import costs / Comp costs.

To give the rest of you an idea of how cheap these cars are in the UK then check out the links below. E36 M3's are getting down in price as well. Have seen a couple of 1998 55km - 65km E36 Evos for about 22-25K NZ.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/cars_...rch_full=SEARCH

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/54461.htm

Convert

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/49403.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/39174.htm

Track day spec

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/52369.htm

Race spec

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/53948.htm

You can have mine for $70k

Is your's the E30 M3 Race car that featured in the BMW mag last year ?.

A bit rich for me anyway , but thanks for the offer , I'd have to sell the bike and the wifes car.... Never of us would be happy. :blink:

Not a track car at all, just an excellent Evo I (Evo II specs) that is like my first born (well second, the 2002tii was the first born).

As a word of warning, it is not so much the cost of the car, but the hassle factor that you need to put a value on. It took me a year and a half to get my car on the road - so you can imagine the time involved. Also, check the UK cars for rust etc as that can run you well into five figures to have (properly) removed.

M3s should not be, and are not, cheap cars to own / run.

Thanks Juzzie Wuzzie,

Can understand the car pride, you've got two very nice cars!, I prefer the E30 M3's to the e36's / e46's.

Probably too many years of watching Nissan Mobil 500's in Wellington with first the 2.3's and then the 2.5 Schnitzer's and the yellow Tony Longhurst M3 (RIP).

You tend to find many of the M3's here are looked well looked after, and a few are garage queens and only see dry days. Also you get less salt on roads in the South such as London where there are a reasonable number to choose from. With the London cars dent's and dings are the norm though. Many owners seem to be worried about the expense of doing the timing chain, and worn suspension bits , so 100,000 miles seem to be the point where the cars are moved on and something to check for.

I see the main expense in converting to RHD, the Aussie's talk about buying a e30 325i nose cut which would have most of the bits and hopefully AirCon. Add a reconditioned M3 e36 steering rack so I'm thinking it could be converted for about $10k NZ providing I find one with a good Motor / Body. I'm I being too naive? (not looking to rebuild to concourse condition)

Not so worried about the time factor, spent 8 years slowly rebuilding a Mk1 Mini so I'm not too worried, packing up home moving to London, moving back has to be done anyway. Adding a car won't make too much difference. My biggest hassle is going to be convincing the wife who just happens to be an accountant.

I brought my 740 over last year and the hassle factor nearly killed me after the shipping company fcuked up and did this to it.

Anglo Pacific - NEVER EVER TRUST THEM

Would I do it again ?

Absolutely. If youve got a nice car that is rare (or very expensive) over here then bring it over, the compliance etc is not that difficult. Customs are just so far up there own arse that its usually best not to talk to them at all and just pay the money and MAF will just want to check it over for bugs and stuff but a good clean before you leave will sort that out.

Neal, I know how cheap the cars are in the UK so bring it over and have some fun. Just dont go near Anglo Pacific.

If you want to know anymore about my experience feel free to PM me.

Thanks Juzzie Wuzzie,

Can understand the car pride, you've got two very nice cars!, I prefer the E30 M3's to the e36's / e46's.

Probably too many years of watching Nissan Mobil 500's in Wellington with first the 2.3's and then the 2.5 Schnitzer's and the yellow Tony Longhurst M3 (RIP).

You tend to find many of the M3's here are looked well looked after, and a few are garage queens and only see dry days. Also you get less salt on roads in the South such as London where there are a reasonable number to choose from. With the London cars dent's and dings are the norm though. Many owners seem to be worried about the expense of doing the timing chain, and worn suspension bits , so 100,000 miles seem to be the point where the cars are moved on and something to check for.

I see the main expense in converting to RHD, the Aussie's talk about buying a e30 325i nose cut which would have most of the bits and hopefully AirCon. Add a reconditioned M3 e36 steering rack so I'm thinking it could be converted for about $10k NZ providing I find one with a good Motor / Body. I'm I being too naive? (not looking to rebuild to concourse condition)

Not so worried about the time factor, spent 8 years slowly rebuilding a Mk1 Mini so I'm not too worried, packing up home moving to London, moving back has to be done anyway. Adding a car won't make too much difference. My biggest hassle is going to be convincing the wife who just happens to be an accountant.

Talk to Graeme Clyde at GAC in Christchurch, he did my RHD conversion. Agree, about "garage queen" cars - have looked at a couple myself - I too am in London, and my M3 is a "garage queen" in Christchurch. If I see a Sport Evo here, I'm buying it, no questions, no nothing. Will then decide what to do with it.

Thanks for the advise guys , Have arrived back in london , but have missed the window to find a E30 M3 to import under lhd rules, Only here for another 2 1/2 months. Looks like the E30 M3 plans are on hold for a couple of years. After seeing the 740i pics not so sure I want to ship a car back with the household stuff. Have had a good talk to the wife and she's put priority on her replacement car on our return so we'll be looking for a low KM 4 door e36 /e46 in April for her , preffer a six with leather so will check here closer to the time.