Sign in to follow this  
MattTheKiwi

E36 Oil Leaks

Hey all

Ive just moved up to Manawatu, and I found this E36 on trademe: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=735046982

Probably too cheap I know, but I was just keen for a good cheap runner for now and this caught my eye

I went out and had a look today, all up its pretty tidy, nice straight body, no structural damage. Dealer told me he'd get a WoF before he sold

Big problem I found with it was an oil leak. There was an 'interesting' amount of oil sitting on the front of the head, just below the rocker cover, then further down on the side of the block and even underneath on the sump. Pretty cramped engine, and I didn't have a mirror but thats what I could spot just with a torch. The dealer swore these cars have a problem with the rocker cover gasket, but it seemed to me to be quite a bit of oil just for that

Anyone from here know how true that could be? And if there's any other suspect places to check?

I asked him to steam clean the engine bay, and I'll go out and give it a blat in the weekend, hopefully I can chuck it up on my mates hoist and see if it's come back

Cheers people

I've had both an e36 (m50) and e46 (m52) with leaking rocker covers. Initially I hadn't noticed the e36 leaking until it began leaving oil marks on the driveway. It was very wet all over the sump. This happened with only 120k on the clock. They are quite easy to repair.

I've noticed it begin to leak slightly again on the exhaust manifold... On the to do list.