Sign in to follow this  
Tilbo

E36 Airbag Light

Hi, the airbag light on my sports steering wheel has been on for ~5 months and with wof time fast approaching it's about time to get it sorted.

As stated above, it the Sports Steering Wheel type. Same as below:

Posted Image

(Sample photo)

What are my options here? Get fault codes scanned? New wheel? I'd prefer to keep this wheel as it looks better than those massive 4 spokes..

Thanks in advance

Adam

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Adam, you need to get it scanned to confirm the fault otherwise you are just guessing at causes. Get hold of Ray @ HellBM - he is on the the shore.

Adam, you need to get it scanned to confirm the fault otherwise you are just guessing at causes. Get hold of Ray @ HellBM - he is on the the shore.

Cheers. I thought this would be the case. I will do that tomorrow.

have a replacemet if needed or same type without airbag etc

scanner wont show much with this old setup , all the electrics are in the wheel itself.

brent@bmworld.co.nz

papakura

Google seems to indicate HellBM is located in Silverdale.. Brent, my car is 1994.

Any other place on the Shore?

You cannot scan that airbag system, there is nothing to scan. The whole control unit is in the steering wheel. Either replace it with the same new / used. Or fit a non air bag wheel. There is no self check or air bag light functioning in the dash.

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

You cannot scan that airbag system, there is nothing to scan. The whole control unit is in the steering wheel. Either replace it with the same new / used. Or fit a non air bag wheel. There is no self check or air bag light functioning in the dash.

My bad - never seen that one & didn't realise it was such a basic version

I've stuck a piece of leather over the light. In my mind that's solved the problem. If the wof guys miss it then great, if they spot it then I guess I'm on the look out for a new steering wheel.

Good news! I did such a fantastic job of covering up the airbag light that they didn't even know it was there let alone on!

Here's a pic:

Posted Image

Bad news! Failed the wof due to leaking front shocks! I'm running Dobi lowering springs on standard shocks (knew they wouldn't last long..). Should I replace the shocks or go all out and install coilovers?

Good news! I did such a fantastic job of covering up the airbag light that they didn't even know it was there let alone on!

Here's a pic:

Bad news! Failed the wof due to leaking front shocks! I'm running Dobi lowering springs on standard shocks (knew they wouldn't last long..). Should I replace the shocks or go all out and install coilovers?

Are ya taking the piss?

LOL, go buy a mid 80's Corolla if you can't maintain the car you have. Airbags are there for your safety, if you sell the car/if someone else is driving the car and someone gets hurt...

Are ya taking the piss?

LOL, go buy a mid 80's Corolla if you can't maintain the car you have. Airbags are there for your safety, if you sell the car/if someone else is driving the car and someone gets hurt...

Look, I don't see how it's any of your concern. There are a lot of e36s that didn't even come with an airbag so mine effectively is now the same. Mid 80's Corolla never had them either....

My shocks will be replaced within a fortnight also.

Look, I don't see how it's any of your concern. There are a lot of e36s that didn't even come with an airbag so mine effectively is now the same. Mid 80's Corolla never had them either....

My shocks will be replaced within a fortnight also.

You made it our concern the second you posted here. So you'd sell the car like it is? Sorry but you'd never convince me that that is the best idea just to save a few bucks. So what if E36's came without airbags. Yours has the airbag, surely parts for these cars can't be expensive especially in Auckland?

I started this thread looking for help. Some helpful people have informed me I must buy a new steering wheel and even offered me a direct replacement. They have been helpful, you have not.

The leather idea is only a quick fix as the wof was due monday. You don't have to agree with it. I will look to replace it later.