Sign in to follow this  
JoshWhit

Bmw e36 flat spot HELP!?!

hey guys

I have a 320i e36 1993 bmw

it is having problems when the engine is warm, there is a flat spot when im accelerating about 2 seconds of hesitation then she will actually accelerate again Does anyone know how to fix this and is it easy/expensive also my old man was driving it to see if it would do it for him and when he was at some lights the car was idle and powered off and he tried to turn back on and the car wouldn't for about 4 tries I think this is related to the flat spot any help would be highly appreciated i will see tomorrow at what RPM it hits the flat spot if that will be any help i have a good friends who thinks it could be the VANOS????post-51451-0-25601800-1401871273.jpg

" sounds like a job for Dr vanos"

Yea could be anything but most likely cam or crank angle sensor

I found that those engines have a flat spot from 700 - 6500 RPM :)

The only way to fix it is install a turbo or supercharger of course.

But jokes aside, as said, you need to get it scanned, it might need a camshaft sensor, new MAF, coil pack, anythings possible

Get it scanned, but my money is on cam/crank sensor. Take it in to see Glenn.

I think its a combination of your Gerbox slipping along with a failing Crank and Cam Shaft Sensor. Get it scanned from someone, I reccomend Ray @ HelBM. Or just buy a ebay code reader for $100 NZD Shipped. The problem gets worse as time goes so dont let the car stop you in the middle of the road like mine did, get it scanned and fix the issues.

go on trademe, you can grab the sensors from milland brand new for around $150 or so.. I replaced the crank shaft sensor and the cam shaft sensor. then also the sparkies and everything. but those two sensors are the major source of these issues, at least in my case and from what I gather from online, get it scanned and then buy the sensors and install them yourself, pretty easy, 1hr job at tops on a 4 cyl 316i/318i

second hand ones can be had for around $60 from trademe, ask ray @hell bm. what happens is the sensors age and get heat up and eventually cant hold up, specially when the car has come to a slow stop = more heat inside engine bay.

Edited by Dr. Jekyll