Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

1998 E36 318is airbag light (with fault code) Help please

Ive seached and read 6 pages on the forum (plus stuff on the web) but havent found the info I am after.

The airbag light has come on in my girlfriends NZ new (SA built) 1998 E36 318is Motorsport. We have scanned it and it came back with the below code:

Ignition circuit 1 - driver belt tensioner

Is this often a broken wire that can be repaired, or a module that needs to be repalced? I guess the seat has to be removed to inspected?

Oh, she seems to have the seat set to the lowest setting, could this have effected the wiring at all?

Thanks for your help.

From what I gather and have read in my own airbag drama searches it's not an uncommon problem, as is the seat occupancy sensor. There's bound to be instructions or some bypass trickery available, either through retail or some technique worked out and exposed via youtube..

Actually I just googled "e36 driver belt tensioner bypass" and all you need to know with detailed instructions is available on the very first result in PDF format.

^ dont count on alot of respect when advocating dodgy repairs on safety systems.

Been discussed to death. Cliffnotes, do it once do it right

Ignition circuit 1 - driver belt tensioner

Give me a call tomorrow.... (09)2722546

^ dont count on alot of respect when advocating dodgy repairs on safety systems.

Been discussed to death. Cliffnotes, do it once do it right

I don't.

How safe and effective is a 15-16 year old airbag anyway?

FWIW the PDF details replacing factory components with instructions and placement.

I think people have missed that this is not an occupancy sensor code its the belt pre tensioner. Which if bypassed will not operate as usual in a crash.

Some people did

Common problem, especially as you state the seat is often at its lowest setting.

Fudging the wiring here would be a pretty Darwin way of killing yourself.

I dont want to try and bypass it, I want to fit it.

I was wanting to know if it would be as simple as a broken wire (that I could repair) or if I need a complete new module.

If you did the google search I did using the same words I'd suggested, clicked on the first link which is a PDF file explaining in detail the fault code and repair, inclusive of OEM part numbers and clear easy to follow diagrams to fix the fault (which reads practically identical to yours). Taking around 20 seconds to cut/paste/look and establish whether this document outlines the fault and whether you're prepared to tackle the work involved shouldn't cause so much nay-saying or spit 'n vinegar.

Use it, don't use it. Whatever. Seems folk are pretty quick to jump to conclusion and bandwagon.

The same procedures are detailed elsewhere too. I'd figured a PDF document is fairly standard, printable and simple to follow. It seems not though.At least not if you're not prepared to take the effort to simply look.

Good luck anyway.

• Like 1

^ this.

Also in case you arent aware. However its fixed it will require a.scan tool to switch light back off

If you did the google search I did using the same words I'd suggested, clicked on the first link which is a PDF file explaining in detail the fault code and repair, inclusive of OEM part numbers and clear easy to follow diagrams to fix the fault (which reads practically identical to yours). Taking around 20 seconds to cut/paste/look and establish whether this document outlines the fault and whether you're prepared to tackle the work involved shouldn't cause so much nay-saying or spit 'n vinegar.

Use it, don't use it. Whatever. Seems folk are pretty quick to jump to conclusion and bandwagon.

The same procedures are detailed elsewhere too. I'd figured a PDF document is fairly standard, printable and simple to follow. It seems not though.At least not if you're not prepared to take the effort to simply look.

Good luck anyway.

I have got that thanks.

OK, so Ive had the seat unbolted, this is what I found:

4aaa4d9a66455262dd1f9ceb13e871b2_zps417e

Is this bit meant to be plugged into anything?

ce093ae74158933b5ed9a73c732be8cf_zps2a21

Plug going into the belt:

af37a5ba077583e5a2449498704cf5a1_zps032c

I havent seem any breaks in the wiring, well as far as I can see.

That 4 block sitting unused is bound to be electric seats or seat heating which you won't have. I'd keep looking around at that wiring thoroughly. Trace it all to the ends and check/clean the connections. I'd be peeling back that accordion cover for the seatbelt latch itself and looking into that. That would seem a likely wear point for chaffed wires and disconnections.

Looks like a great time to be hoovering up all that dog hair, orange peels and old Macca's fries anyway..

That 4 block sitting unused is bound to be electric seats or seat heating which you won't have. I'd keep looking around at that wiring thoroughly. Trace it all to the ends and check/clean the connections. I'd be peeling back that accordion cover for the seatbelt latch itself and looking into that. That would seem a likely wear point for chaffed wires and disconnections.

Looks like a great time to be hoovering up all that dog hair, orange peels and old Macca's fries anyway..

Bloody GF's car, its cat fur . . . It loves going in the car.

Just an update on this, after taking the seat out, cleaning the conectors, and another scan and reset we cleared the airbag light.

Probably all those spilt maccas cokes over the years :P

Probably all those spilt maccas cokes over the years :P

Spilt fanta is the only oem reccomended carpet stain iirc