Sign in to follow this  
Jpclarke89

e36 guibo/flex joint help

For a while now my e36 328i coupe has had a shudder under acceleration (usually around 3-4k rpm), and worsens depending on how much load the car is under (passengers - more weight, and harder acceleration).

I did some research and came to the conclusion it was probably a worn flex joint/guibo. Now's where I get confused....

I dropped the exhaust and heat shield down enough so I could see to inspect it and there appears to not be one in there at all???? I then tried to research whether automatic is much different to manual (mine is auto) and couldn't find anything. So my question is, should there be a flex disc in here or not? I noted also there was some white paint applied to the 3 bolts that attach the driveshaft to the transmission (not sure what that means - I figured it's because they've taken it off previously I dunno)

I've tried to get the best photos I could without actually dropping the exhaust right off. I've also taken a photo of the visible splines where the driveshaft splits mid-way down. My thinking was if a flex joint was installed those splines would not be visible as they would slide further into the other end of the shaft. Any help would be appreciated!

2014-06-10132604_zpsd85c2448.jpg2014-06-10132646_zpsc069e21f.jpg

I cant remember when mine was auto, but have you tried entering the last 7 digits of your VIN into RealOEM and seeing if there is a part # available?

I cant remember when mine was auto, but have you tried entering the last 7 digits of your VIN into RealOEM and seeing if there is a part # available?

I didn't even know that website existed thanks for that.... It appears to be listed unless I'm reading wrong??

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BG22&mospid=47431&btnr=26_0105&hg=26&fg=10

jatco auto's dont use one.

will be a universal joint in your driveshaft ,

most likly the rear one will have seized up . take it off and feel each joint for movement etc

have replacements driveshafts if needed.

brent@bmworld.co.nz

jatco auto's dont use one.

will be a universal joint in your driveshaft ,

most likly the rear one will have seized up . take it off and feel each joint for movement etc

have replacements driveshafts if needed.

brent@bmworld.co.nz

Good to know, thanks will check it out

Stupid jatco boxes. Convert to manual, fixes everything :D

Stupid jatco boxes. Convert to manual, fixes everything :D

That's the plan at some point!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Had a similar issue with my 328.... online research suggested the flex joint. And was just an occasional slight shudder under acceleration that varied with load, turned out it was a worn coil pack sometimes causing a slight missfire. Possibly worth investigating other options before you rip your driveline apart?

Had a similar issue with my 328.... online research suggested the flex joint. And was just an occasional slight shudder under acceleration that varied with load, turned out it was a worn coil pack sometimes causing a slight missfire. Possibly worth investigating other options before you rip your driveline apart?

Don't think this is the same, it's more of a vibration than a shudder. Can feel it from under the seat as well so pretty sure it's from the driveshaft. Will keep that in mind though cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hey, Had the same problem with my 97 320i. It has the jatco box as well with a drive shaft that doesn't have the rubber gibbo at the front. Was real problematic under moderate/hard acceleration, used to get a hell of a shake around the 30-40kph until one day it decided it was going to do it all the time until i got to about 50kph.

Just got into it this weekend. turns out my drive shaft hanger bearing had fallen to pieces. the rubber that surrounds the center bearing had split causing the center of the drive shaft to move up and down under acceleration.

Also a good idea to check all 3 universals while you have it off (mine were ok). had to remove the exhaust, then the heat shield and finally i could get to the drive shaft.

Hope this helps with your problem.

• Like 1

E36 Jatco drive shaft re-fitted

E36 Jatco bearing replaced

E36 Jatco hanger bearing old and new

E36 Jatco hanger bearing

E36 Jatco front shaft

Oh and also if it looks like they might have removed it before (the white paint) might pay to check if the phasing of the drive shaft is correct

Edited by Matt64