Sign in to follow this  
Lewis91

Rear Diff

Hey guys,

My E46 318 used to have a obvious vibration in reverse (full lock).

I replaced the rear diff mount around 3 months ago as it had the usual cracking.

Got rid of the problem...mostly.

Still very slight, but consistent.

The car's done 140,xxx.

I have two questions:

1 - Is it most likely to be the diff?

2 - Will http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=739807625 fit if I was to use it as a replacement?

I'm not sure what the ratio on the standard diff is, but 4.4 is probably better than the 3.8 or something which it's likely to be since the car isn't a Motorsport.

Cheers,

Lewis

Unless he is refering to the rear mount not the rear diff.

I think 90% of people call it the rear diff, plus that's not particularly important anyway - it's not going to solve my problem.

I am referring to the diff itself, therefore the 4.4 from the Trade-me link from a Compact could possibly bolt in?

A 318 Ti diff will not fit an E46

Hi Lewis,

Put your last 7 digits in one of the parts catalogs and it will give you the infor you need

Might need to check the trade me diff think it is for an e36 type not a e46 could be wrong.

The parts Cat give's 3.38.1, 3.45.1, 3.91.1 as the ratio's for a e46 318ti the last two are for auto's not sure if this would change being either a N42 or N46 model. The 318 and 316 ti's I believe have small case diffs.

e36 ti have 3.38.1 manual, 4.44.1 auto.

Might need to check the trade me diff think it is for an e36 type not a e46 could be wrong.

Correct

Hi Lewis,

Put your last 7 digits in one of the parts catalogs and it will give you the infor you need

The parts Cat give's 3.38.1, 3.45.1, 3.91.1 as the ratio's for a e46 318ti the last two are for auto's not sure if this would change being either a N42 or N46 model. The 318 and 316 ti's I believe have small case diffs.

e36 ti have 3.38.1 manual, 4.44.1 auto.

Cheers bro, that's all the info I needed.