Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

What do these wires do?

I'm in the process of changing the jap spec tuner unit in our E39 for the radio / tape indash unit from the parts car. Following the advice of someone that knows way more than me I've got it to the point where I've swapped the main antenna amplifier on the passenger C pillar for the NZ new unit. Obviously reception isn't great but at least I'm getting local stations. The second antenna amp on the parts car is also a part of the EWS, though it seems to me like it need a 12v+ source to boost the incoming signal. Original unit was round pin, new is flat pin so the old soldering iron has had a workout this weekend!

post-4208-0-09324900-1402810610_thumb.jp

Now my question is - which wire is which? Red / black & white / yellow. +v - gnd??? Bit weird as all gnd wires are usually brown, that I've seen so far.

The first amp sends a coax line to the head unit, and a second coax link to #2 amp.Both amps run a single wire to the antenna in the rear screen, that circuit is connected. Does the second amp need a 12v source or am I on the wrong track here? I'd have quite happily used the original cabling but the NZ new & Jap cars terminate their cables differently :(

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to get the 16:9 display to show what frequency the new unit is tuned to. As the donor car used an MID I suspect there is a connection I've overlooked here. Only wire I haven't used on the new unit is grey/red, illumination dim circuit (no relevant cable to splice to in loom).

Bit of a stretch but I'm hoping someone can cast a bit more light on the situation. Tia!

Hi Matt,

Have a look on WDS wiring diagrams http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/e39new/index.htm. It has both the jap and other amp set ups hope it helps out.

Holy crap, cabling heaven! Interesting side note for Mac users, the site won't run on Safari :(

Now, to try finding the right diagram :blink:

It wont work in any browser on a Mac unless you re-enable Java (disabled by default).

• Like 1

Hi Matt, pm Hotwire on here if you have any trouble, he's da bomb

Hi Matt, pm Hotwire on here if you have any trouble, he's da bomb

Yup, he's the one that's supplied me with the info so far. Bloody nice guy & knows his stuff. Hopefully he won't mind more questions, I'm hoping not to appear to be taking advantage of his knowledge, considering it's how he makes his living.

Frustrating cos I think I'm close to sorting it all out!

Kudos to Hotwire & Tim, think I'm getting somewhere now.

On a parallel topic, is there a way to adapt the Jap phone system to accommodate an iPhone?