Sign in to follow this  
slybma

Help me with my quest for more power.

i have no idea why some think turbos = unreliable i wouldnt have a turbo business for the last 25 yrs plus if that was the case or maybe people are listening to the wrong sources,light car small motor plus turbo = a better handling car

something to consider for a track day play car

I suspect the OP is wondering more about the M60 reliability than a proper turbo setup. I imagine it'd be fairly big dollars to develop a decent jump in HP out of one of those engines

i have no idea why some think turbos = unreliable i wouldnt have a turbo business for the last 25 yrs plus if that was the case or maybe people are listening to the wrong sources,light car small motor plus turbo = a better handling car 

something to consider for a track day play car 

if they were realiable you would have nothing to fix

if they were realiable you would have nothing to fix

coming from a guy that has e30 m50 turbo beside his name

i also do counltess builds/new builds but hey people do as they please its their money but if your never dont it yourself before then keep your opinion to yourself is how i see it

Woops must of hit a nerve there. Was only joking. My car has been reliable for over 20,000k, I have no doubts a turbo car cab be reliable if done right.

Woops must of hit a nerve there. Was only joking. My car has been reliable for over 20,000k, I have no doubts a turbo car cab be reliable if done right.

nope just an opinion like everyone else mines based on what i do all day every day

more parts = more parts to fail

turbocharged cars has a reputation for being less reliable because people don't fuel and tune properly and don't use quality parts and workmanship. They are usually driven harder as well.

inherently, a tuned turbocharged car from factory should be as reliable as a tuned na car from factory. However because of the addition parts of a turbocharged/supercharged engine, there is a higher chance that a part will fail albeit a small difference.

in my opinion turbocharged engines are also more sensitive to a wider range of variations in daily use. usually because they are running closer to the 'edge' of their limitations compared to their modified na brothers. of course if you compared a tuned turbocharged engine to a na engine which is running 12.7:1 compression and 9000rpm with an aggressive fuel and timing map, of course that engine will be almost as succeptible to daily variables as a edge tuned turbocharged engine. but how many cars do you see running such that sort of na build? compared to everyones friends cousin who has a boost controller on their factory skyline/evo/subby and decides to run it at 18-20psi on a stock setup? variables include ambient air temp, bad fuel lot, fuel starvation due to improper tank baffling or surgetank setup, oil starvation due to improper oil pan baffling/upgraded oil system, over-rev, overheating etc.

I just think the inherent stresses in an forced induction environment are much less forgiving if you compare a modified turbocharged engine to an equivalent na engine. preignition or detonation will kill an engine quicker than you can let go of the throttle and in a forced induction environment there are more systems which control that critical fuel air mixture and timing than in an na car.

a high performance na build is expensive so the owner tends to take more care in using the right fuel and having the right tune. equally if a person who understood tuning and fueling and the mechanics behind it all, can build a similar high performance turbocharged build which is almost as reliable. it is just that the number of people pushing cheap power out of turbocharged cars is much higher due to the price than those who choose to push a na powered car which is far more $$$. means less edge tuned na cars out there to be blown up.

just my ranting and opinion. i've owned both tuned na and turbocharged cars, havent blown up anything, worst thing I've had is leaking turbo oil feed/drain lines and an inherently low compression cylinder in a straight 6 (not my fault).

M42 twin charge.

Different, a challenge and BMW. Would love to see that done.

Hardly any of those reasons are because turbos are unreliable. More like cheap jap turbo cars are affordable enough for muppets

pah. My subie had a custom primary turbo for 120k km, and was the most reliable car I've owned. Was also boosting 16psi on that turbo too. Lastly, subie TT is one of the most complicated turbo systems you'll come across.