Sign in to follow this  
isis

E70 3.0D Servicing

the truck supposedly came with a 2 year warranty and service plan when we bought from TM.

Thinking we wont have to worry about anything for the next 2 years..how wrong!

It covers jack sh$#%

Basically it covers oil, filter and labour.

So when it was due, surprise surprise it needed new brakes - rotors + pads

Was shocked to find out that brakes was not part of the service plan..what salesman tell you to make you sign the dotted line

Even had the decency to charge me for a blown license plate bulb.

2.5k later and the morons even forgot to reset the service indicator, dealer service with a smile!

end of rant -

Its been a year since the last service and probably covered under 20ks and according to the service indicator, its not due until next year? is this the norm to change oil every 2 years? i always thought diesels required more servicing than their petrol counter parts...kinda ridiculous if you ask me & tbh if its required, i'd rather take it somewhere else....

so in reality when you buy used premium with 2 year blag blah you actually only get 1 service?

Wasn't expecting tyres to be covered..needless to say they told me it needed replacing - all 4!

so it was one expensive month!

Basically it'll be never again from dealers - you're paying a premium for a marketing gimmick..go the parallel importers!

I have been a loyal fan of BM workshop - have used them for the last 7+ years and will be reverting back to them when this one is over.

JC is a little too far!

Sounds like you didnt do alot of research to be honest.

If the service plan was a selling point why not ask whats covered.

As pointed out wearing parts arent usually part of service.

As far as oil changes look in the manual. Many will reccomend 20km plus but also say less under severe service like towing or short slow trips.

Modern engines can handle this kind of milage on an oil change but only under reccomended conditions i.e. Open road driving at temp.

I would still be changing once per year and you MUST use proper oil. Like stuff that runs up to a hundred dollars per 5l. not cheap landrover style oil

Always read the details on any "warranty" or "service plan" as there are huge variations on what is covered, and so what is not.

There are very few "full" service plans available, which would cover wear-and-tear items like brakes, I have only ever seen these on leased vehicles that are on a fully maintained lease, and even then there can be excesses to pay if you get through too many kms by the end of the lease.

As for the parallel importers and their "warranties" most are only good for bog roll. They are technically "mechanical insurance policies" not warranties at all, and have you ever seen an Insurance company that likes to pay out? Plus one of the normal conditions in the policy is to have the vehicle serviced by the dealer at more regular intervals, and they wont pay out if you dont do it.

Be clear what you are signing up for.

Always read the details on any "warranty" or "service plan" as there are huge variations on what is covered, and so what is not.

There are very few "full" service plans available, which would cover wear-and-tear items like brakes, I have only ever seen these on leased vehicles that are on a fully maintained lease, and even then there can be excesses to pay if you get through too many kms by the end of the lease.

As for the parallel importers and their "warranties" most are only good for bog roll. They are technically "mechanical insurance policies" not warranties at all, and have you ever seen an Insurance company that likes to pay out? Plus one of the normal conditions in the policy is to have the vehicle serviced by the dealer at more regular intervals, and they wont pay out if you dont do it.

Be clear what you are signing up for.

You seem to have quite a few diesels, how often do they need servicing?

You seem to have quite a few diesels, how often do they need servicing?

the 120 d used to do about 17 k between services but it was 25 k trips at a time.The service indicator recognises the sort of running i beleive.Shorter stop start runs would be shoeter i beleive.Of course Mr BMW sets his service routine in the beleif it will use the proper synthetic LL01(or whatever) oil,not some cheap 20 50 from repco(or whatever)

Edited by kiwi535

I only have to service the E46 wagon as the others are company cars. The E46 is due a service in about 1,000miles according to the service indicator, hasn't had one for getting on three years. 18,000 miles is what I think it went up to on the indicator after the last service. It does use a little bit of oil, so has needed a small top-up on the engine oil in that time, I think a lot of that is that it is now only used on short trips.

And totally agree with the above, to get anywhere near that you need the right oil (and there are only a few types that properly meet the full LL01 specification) and a good quality filter.