Sign in to follow this  
Kepes

Lowering my E30

I've got my hands on some 15" weaves and figured that the next step would have to be suspension. I'm not looking for major/any performance increase really. And I don't want it 'slammed' . Ideally I would just like to purchase springs. I've done quite a lot of searching around and H&R Sport springs give a nice stance inho. Can these be run with the stock shocks or no way? Another option (i think) would be iS (Eg 325is) / msport springs. Even E30 m3 springs maybe but they'll be a little harder to find. I guess it's important to mention too that I have a prefacelift E30, with the better looking wheel arches :ph34r::P . Also, I think the stock suspension/firmness/ride is great, and I definitely don't want to make it worse. Is there a way that I can achieve this without spending too much??
Below is a picture of the perfect height E30. It's not a lot less than stock but that little bit makes it look much better. Even something a wee bit higher than these pics would suit. Basically, I want to achieve something around this height.

Thanks for looking :-)

post-41073-0-20793600-1404282747.jpg

post-41073-0-80141200-1404282791.jpg

Edited by Kepes

did you manage to find a local h&r dealer with springs for your car available locally? what price did they quote you? H&R have various springs, stock OE which is about a 10-15mm drop, sport springs which is 25-30mm drop and increased stiffness and race springs which go as far as a 40-50mm drop and a hard ride.

did you manage to find a local h&r dealer with springs for your car available locally? what price did they quote you? H&R have various springs, stock OE which is about a 10-15mm drop, sport springs which is 25-30mm drop and increased stiffness and race springs which go as far as a 40-50mm drop and a hard ride.

Nope. Just going off what I've seen on American sites like turnermotorsport etc. If I could get them locally I might go for that. But I'm probably too lazy to look around locally. Sadly. I wasn't aware that the H&R OE springs lower the car. Good to know. Thanks

Im not sure but what about getting your existing springs compressed?

Im not sure but what about getting your existing springs compressed?

Have read a little bit about it but just like cutting them, I think the ride will be worse. Plus im not that cheap! haha :rolleyes: Ideally I'd like to get my hands on some second hand H&R Sports. Question still remains though - would stock shocks be okay?

Factory msport springs with e90 top hats would be getting close to that ride height. Personally I think stock shocks will be fine.

• Like 1

Mine had stock springs with H&R sports, The rears were OK the front's were Barely captive, ALot better with Koni adjustables. Good springs though, Kind of rides rough on sh*tty Wellington roads.

Edited by e30ftw

My cab has a new genuine sport cup kit, so matching springs and shocks.

These springs are supposed to be the stiffest of the lot, but I found them to be around half those found in more aggressive coilovers or anything. I've found the ride to only be slightly harsher than stock.

So take away message is that the springs are lower, but comfort is roughly the same really. I wish they were stiffer though for the drop achieved, as I need crawl over speedbumps in my current cab. Granted the cab is a lot heavier than 2 doors, you may not have such a problem

Thanks for all the suggestions! The Msport suspension and E90 drop hats seems like my best bet I reckon. Or even just the M springs would probably do me. I never thought of that combo though so thanks. H&R sports are probably not such a good idea with the stock shocks. Just wondering - do drop hats only go in the front or can they be put in the rear too? Probably a noob question but hey, i'm a noob.
Now just to find those springs i guess.... B)

any issues with captive springs, when it is minor can be easily remedied with keeper springs.

As luck would have it I have a set of genuine msport springs out of my red e30 that can be for sale. PM me if interested.

I should have a pic somewhere of the ride height although mine is '88.

You can get the e90 top hats off TM or new from your favourite bmw parts supplier.

The rears are not a strut, so no top hat there, the rears will always look lower due to the guard shape so I'd suggest you do the front first and see how it sits. A rake is required if you want the arch gap the same front and rear.

Please do your own research into the suitability of E90 top hats/perches and the reported 10mm drop.

Otherwise contact stocks.co.nz and get some king springs as they are cheap, but because they are cheap they are pretty soft. also if you want the e90 top hats take this part number (31336764093) to your local BMW dealer and order them genuine. they are about $37 each

Keith at George Stocks should be able to sort you out, you might need to pass him a front and rear spring to match what you're after .. they also are an H&R distributor but may not hold stock of the rarer cars .. I know they have nothing for the e36 m3

As luck would have it I have a set of genuine msport springs out of my red e30 that can be for sale. PM me if interested.

I should have a pic somewhere of the ride height although mine is '88.

You can get the e90 top hats off TM or new from your favourite bmw parts supplier.

The rears are not a strut, so no top hat there, the rears will always look lower due to the guard shape so I'd suggest you do the front first and see how it sits. A rake is required if you want the arch gap the same front and rear.

Please do your own research into the suitability of E90 top hats/perches and the reported 10mm drop.

Tried to send PM but didn't work? Maybe inbox full?

I think the M sport springs would give a nice ride on their own tbh, and I wouldn't need to mess around with the shocks at all which would be good. Although I may still replace with some OEM Shocks while im in the area.

I think the issue with the rear looking lower than the front is only on the facelift models. I remember reading that somewhere. Or atleast it's far less obvious on the prefacelift which is good in my case!

I have the H&R Sports with Bilsteins on my car. The ride is good - firm, but not too firm for around town and everyday use and the drop is about perfect. If I was fussy I would like the car to sit a little lower in the front, but in the interests of handling over looks I know its better the way it sits as it is.