Sign in to follow this  
rollas22

Removing crank pulley

hi guys, after trying nemourous efforts of trying to remove the crank pulley lastnite from my 320i E30 bmw i can't get the dam thing off!!!

Is there any special way to get this off???

its the only thing i need to take off to set the timing chain....

HELP PLEASE

There is a tool available ( i used it many many years ago ) that allows you to attach the old timing chain to the new one.

Then you just turn over the engine until the new chain has been 'wound on' then link that new chain together.

All you need to do is remove the RC and other bits needed to access the top of the cam pully, wind the engine over until you find the chain link, attach the new chain to the old and wind away ( BY HAND! )..... so easy. No need to shag around with tensioners etc, the tool is a briliant invention.

Haven't tried it on a BMW, but the principle is still the same. It looks like three wheels, two roll on the chain and the other is spoked for the chain ( if I remember right )

Nah i need to get the pulley off to access inbehind the covers to set the engine back to "0" on the timing below. Cause i replaced the head gaskit, and when i got the head skimmed they had to remove the cam and that has stufft how i set the timing up, so basiclly gota start from scratch!

dam annoying

Timing marks should be on the pully or on the flywheel ( little access hole on gearbox housing )

Have never heard of having to take off the pully to set the the engine to TDC, on any car.

The guys here with 320's will know exactly where it is, as I have different engine to you.

I assume the head is back on, so:

Get a screw driver or something longish and stick it in no1 spark plug hole. Wind the motor over by hand until you feel the piston come up and just stop. Thats TDC for no1. Make sure you lift the screwdriver up with the piston coming up, as it could 'jam' on the upstroke.

Make sure your rotor is pointing at no1 spark plug lead on the cap, if not, keep going until it is.

Then look at crank pully or little acces hole on gearbox housing by flywheel for some timing marks. When you find them, get some twink and mark each one. This makes using the timing light to see them a million times easier.

If you need to get the crank pully off, use a pully kit.

OK: here is a link off google I just found:

http://www.picture-this-graphics.com/engine_timing.html

Check it out.

post-6-1131054533.jpg

No the head isnt back on yet. wanted to sort out the bottom end before i put the head back on and turned the engine over, not wanting to bend a valve.

Also im unsure if the chain has come off the sprocket behind the cover so want to check that out too... just wana get that dam pulley off.

There are no notches on pully or markings on the timing cover, which makes me think that its under the timing covers (engine rebuilder rekons so too)

Edited by rollas22