Sign in to follow this  
BMA-HO

HELP! whats this problem with rear tail light (drivers side)

hey guys driverside reat tail light doesnt work the only one that works is the brake light and indicator . the passenger side tail light all works. does any one know what this problem is and how i could fix it because at night when i drive the driverside taillight is completey blank and only have passengers side working. can you guys please tell me what to check and where to check. iv tried replacing bulbs and that doesnt work aswell. the car is a 1996 e36 318i sedan 4cyl. making me worried and paranoid

NEED TO GET THIS FIXED PLEASE.

Turn your rear fogs on an call it a day?

Or do they not work either?

Checked to see if your front park light works on that side? If not the fuse would of gone

@ tyler wil check the rear fog lights tommorow.

@ Justin front park lights all work on that side i just cant figure out what it is i even took out all bulbs and sanded down some corosion that were in the plugs but still not working. does anyone know where i could get a brand new wiring loom for the lights

Are they aftermarket? Depo brand etc? If so check for burnt out contacts. Do you have a volt meter? With the lights on, find the light pin and earth with multimeter and see if you get 12v then it's the tail light it's self with the issue.

From the OP's seemingly limited knowledge, it would have been much simpler/quicker to drive it to someone to fix it. Seriously - a brand new loom for the lights...

My money would be a connection problem in the actual lamp

Usually a bad earth through corrosion around a bulb holder.

Edited by Haitoman

thats the thing i asked around but they still havnt got back. il pay someone on here if they could check it properly and fix the problem properly without stuffing anything else up. located in auckckland

Usually a bad earth through corrosion around a bulb holder.

Pretty much this will be the cause ^^^

Remove the entire light and housing, check all bulbs and for any exposed wires or corrosion, check the wire connector and it's contacts, test it plugged in but not installed. this should hopefully help.

Edited by cliffdunedin