Sign in to follow this  
handgrenade

OBD1 to OBD2 adapter? Does anyone have one I can borrow?

Hi everyone

I'm looking for an OBD1 to OBD2 adapter to check what sort of output my car will put out because I want to get an aftermarket HUD but the HuD is only compatible to OBD2, so I need to know what outputs the OBD1 computer will spit out ... don't want to waste the money on the HUD if it's just going to show nothing!!

Thanks!

hg

Hi everyone 

I'm looking for an OBD1 to OBD2 adapter to check what sort of output my car will put out because I want to get an aftermarket HUD but the HuD is only compatible to OBD2, so I need to know what outputs the OBD1 computer will spit out ... don't want to waste the money on the HUD if it's just going to show nothing!!

Thanks!

hg

I have one but im in taupo.

Just check its possible to read that data. Its not just a case of adapting plugs alot of things arent there on an obd1 system

are you coming to the big chill tomorrow??

here is a pic of the plug I have ..

post-51379-0-15118200-1405155171_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thats a speaker/buzzer.

E36 use the round 20 pin connector under the bonnet, but as yours is a newer Evo i dont know if you also have a traditional OBD2 connector in the car somewhere.

Edited by KwS

lol reals? thats a buzzer/speaker???

I have a circular diagnostic pin in the engine bay ... where would be the odb2 connector be if it existed in an e36?

Yea the big round plug in.the engine bay is the obd1 port

yes there is a big round plug in the engine bay .. sigh wish it was a obd2 so i can get an aftermarket HUD

lol reals? thats a buzzer/speaker???

I have a circular diagnostic pin in the engine bay ... where would be the odb2 connector be if it existed in an e36?

E36 never had OBD2, that didn't come until 2000

Your 96-99 MSS50 (or MSS50.1) DME doesnt support the OBD2 protocol (KWP2000). Only BMW DS2 which is a proprietary protocol.

What exactly are you wanting to display ? I have just completed 4 years research into all of this.

Just a note, there isnt actually anything called OBD1. In the late 80s to around 1996 in the US and up to 2000 in europe vehicles had their own propriety connectors and protocols.

BMW has several different variations on a 20 pin round connector which the americans tried to start calling 'OBD1'

In Europe, BMW started the change over to 16 pin flat connector in 1999 for certain parts of the diagnostic bus system and completed the switch in 2001.

my objective is to run an aftermarket HUD display which takes the info from the OBD to display onto the windscreen!

But no point in dropping the cash on the HUD unit if nothing is going to come thru the OBD1...

Thanks josh, id be happy to see rpm and gear and speed on the HUD, not much fussed on the rest!

keep in mind that it may look like OBD2 but the output certainly isnt.

Sigh .. Thanks for the replies everyone .. I wonder if anyone has converted to OBD2 ..

Looks like no plug and play HUD for me :(

If you mean the 16pin plug .. yes I have. But the problem is the protocol for OBDII isnt there.

It is possible to write an adapter for it.. but would take time and in my eyes not be worth it.

I couldnt offer you HUD but can certainly help with a display

If you mean the 16pin plug .. yes I have. But the problem is the protocol for OBDII isnt there.

It is possible to write an adapter for it.. but would take time and in my eyes not be worth it.

I couldnt offer you HUD but can certainly help with a display

hey josh .. what sort of display?!