Sign in to follow this  
a13antichrist

Wheels again - question about finishes

Ok so I always thought that alloys were supposed to be better because they were a) lighter, and B) didn't have anything done to them other than being forged. Now it turns out all alloys are either coated or primed or whatever else? So the actual colour of the alloy itself is some black or brown crap just like whatever usual old crappy hubcaps are covering?

THe reason I ask is because I want SHINY wheels. Not chrime crap that looks like reflectorised plastic, but ones that look like polished steel.. As far as I can recall I've seen this finish on one car only so far (a taxi, of all things) but at least I know it's possible. Now, I'm assuming it's not just a matter of sitting down with a rag & some polish & getting to work on my wheels because it certainly seems like our alloys are a silver/metallic colour, rather than being a bare metal finish. Is this right, and does that mean that I can't get a nice polished finish without tracking down exactly that finish?

brown or black really? all the ones i have polished were rough and gray or with a bit of blackish ashy stuff depending on what method i use in getting it to bare metal i.e sand blast, acid dip, baking...

polishing from any of these is a long process if not machined and sitting there with a rag and polish is the last part although i would use a polishing wheel or the rotisserie tool from super cheap is awesome

Edited by bem-on

The wheels on my e30 are polished alloys. The guy I bought them from had them polished somewhere in Auckland. Don't know what it cost but wouldn't be too cheap I imagine...

If you can get Andrew to post a pic of the wheels on his new e36, (which are the same wheels as on my e30 but 4 stud), you will see the difference between the polished wheels and the standard painted wheels.

The wheels on my e30 are polished alloys. The guy I bought them from had them polished somewhere in Auckland. Don't know what it cost but wouldn't be too cheap I imagine...

If you can get Andrew to post a pic of the wheels on his new e36, (which are the same wheels as on my e30 but 4 stud), you will see the difference between the polished wheels and the standard painted wheels.

hey can you still get those wheels? advanti essens??? very cool

wow the first time i saw a pic of your car Will i thought they were crome, how much did that cost to get polished if you dont mind me asking?

if you want a cheap alternative you could get them powder coated colour crome. prep has to be spot on or it will come out in the finnish real good

Edited by bem-on

Guest Andrew

what real ACS wheels/color looks like FYI

post-8-1131406985.jpg

Guest Andrew

Man, I can see the "car cleaning slut" has been at it again.... :P

at least i didn't take the wheels off and do all of them - hey i had to restrain myself.

Hey I can't say I blame ya, when ya got a car that looks that good it's almost a crime to let it get dirty... and when it looks so fantastic clean you really never need a reason to clean it. I was cleaning mine 2-3 times per fortnight just to make sure it stayed lovely and glistening... :)

Man, I can see the "car cleaning slut" has been at it again.... :P

at least i didn't take the wheels off and do all of them - hey i had to restrain myself.
Youre going to put me on shame on saturday. Oh there shall be such frantic cleaning in the morning..

got m rims polished,

80+sgt per wheel from stevensons metal polishers in hamz

Andrew - you suck!! :P

Those are clean, clean clean! Love them!

How about you drop round to my place and clean my baskets??? :bowdown:

Guest Andrew

Andrew - you suck!! :P

Those are clean, clean clean! Love them!

How about you drop round to my place and clean my baskets??? :bowdown:

thats why i painted my baskets black hah can't see no dirty on those bad boys.

Actually Andrew those rims still look silver-paint-coloured, rather than bare metal.. hmm look at a VGA connector, they have a nice polished non-gloss non-chrome shiny metal finish that would look awesome on wheels.

Here we go, this is what I'm talking about:

Posted Image

Edited by a13antichrist

Guest Andrew

mine are painted - was just posting them up so you could compare them to Will's ACS wheels.