Sign in to follow this  
speedyg

Suspension change

Hi,

I'm halfway through a suspension change (see post under performance) and have a couple of questions.

I have the front struts out and have compressed the springs, but how do you get the nut off the top of the shock to get the springs off? I realise that there is a bmw special tool for this but is there another way?

Also I pulled back the dust cover on the existing shocks and noticed that the thickness of the shock (chrome bit) is thicker than the new shocks I have to put in. Does this matter as the new shocks come with a new collar to thread back into the shock housing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I use an air impact gun (rattle gun).

The other way is to take a 1/2" drive socket and grind 2 flats on it to fit a set spanner and then use a deep 1/4" socket through the centre hole of the socket. See pic ....

I use an air impact gun (rattle gun).

Yip, easiest method. We also use air gun to do them back up as you'll have the same problem. Its also a good idea to punch some dents into the threaded collar (holds the shock into the strut housing) once you have that back on just to make sure it stays put.

I tried the socket/spanner method and split two 8mm sockets! Last night I took the struts around to a mates place who has a air impact gun and had them apart in no time! So I should have it all back together tonight.

Thanks for the tip.

My deep 1/4" drive sockets I use for jobs like this are Metrinch, also have a standard set of Stahlwille. Both are pretty indestructable.. and guaranteed if they break. The extra cost of them is worth it in the long run imo...