Sign in to follow this  
728besitzer

suspension on a budget 7 series

does anyone know who may be able to offer full sets of used suspensions taken off relatively new cars imported into nz?

not everyone who buys a relatively new car wants the boring factory stuff so they would replace this with a more upmarket set... so i assume somewhere out there are importers or suspension shops that take off perfectly good sets and sell them on... only who does this? any ideas? cheers

klaus

I dont think to many people chamge the suspension on a 728i so probably very little around. There are shops overseas that do but more for japanese performance cars

On Trademe lately there's been a few crazy items. Someone managed to pickup KW coilovers for an e60 for $220. The same seller had more coilovers for some other BMW he was practically giving away.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=755765132 Could be worth a question if he ever lists anything again.

e38 might be pushing it though.

Depends what you want too.

Do you just want to refresh your stock ride and height or lower it and make it feel a bit stiffer?

Also I doubt you'd find suspension sets off newer cars that would fit our e38's.

I wanted mine a bit lower so bought a new set of lowering springs from a guy on Trademe. He'd sold his car so no longer needed them. I put them over the original SED shocks and it all works fine(for now). I'm aware that lowering the original shocks will wear them out quicker but unlike regular shocks the SED get stiffer not softer.

Sometime next year I'll invest in some bilstein shocks for the 740.

Another option for you could be coilovers

Or hunt out the parts cars on trademe and try to get replacements off those.

Again it really depends on what you want and why..

I dont see the point of anything agressive on a 7 series, a car design for comfort. The OEM sport and std boge setups still have quite acceptable handle for a heavy car.

Bigger swaybars would help out alot too im sure.

Yeah, main reason is to refresh the factory ones I have on. Its for a family sedan not a ridiculous boy racer monkey machine... The front end doesnt feel 'fresh' despite new tyres and some new suspension components... and the back right side I get a bit of a 'swoosh' sound when going over speed bumps... I dont mind a little lowering as I think the factory standard set up is a little too high... so basically a fresh up for a comfortable ride...

Oh, and what other models of BMWs or other cars would have the same suspension set up to my e38?

Thanks

Edited by 728besitzer

Sounds like E38 sports or UUC/B&G springs with OEM shocks would be a good choice, they are mainly for lowering rather than performance. I replaced worn OEM Boge shocks on a E38 740il with new Boge's and it rode and handled like a 7 series should.

Other BMW's have the same suspension design but the suspension components are usually specific to a certain series.

Where did you get your kit from Jared?

HAs anyone had original factory shocks reconditioned? Who did it? And is it false economy spending money on reconditioning such parts? Cheers

Got my Boge's thru SAS suspension in Auckland. They did i me a real good deal on them at the time($1300-$1400 iirc), worked out a few hundred cheaper than getting them from overseas mainly due to the weight, you have to buy the complete strut housing(rather than just an insert) on E38's etc when replacing front shocks.

Never heard of anyone rebuilding factory units, im sure its possible but probably not worth it.