Sign in to follow this  
Docile

Selling a lapsed registration car

hey guys, with regards to paper work to sell this off, what do would i need?

the car is my sister's car and she currently resides in australia. we are moving house and i dont want to lug it around to the new house.

Is the reg lapsed or is it dereged? If dereged you don't have to do anything, if lapsed you are liable for unpaid reg to date of sale and need to do a change of ownership.

• Like 1

If it's deregistered you'll have to whip the plates off and hand them over the counter at postshop with the required paperwork. Sis might have to pay the back dated rego too if she's just left it to sit and expire 12 months+ since valid rego. If the rego has expired within a year of last rego Sis will have to pay the back dated rego cost to bring it up to current.

The plates are personalised.

last rego of the car was 2009? i think so its way pass the 12 months.

so what you guys are saying is that i have to pay 5 years worth of rego?? to sell the car?

can't i sell it as is?

other option would be to just have the wreckers take it. what paper works are needed for that?

Only one year owed. Im surprised they havent come after her.for the debt if its beem 5 years since it lapsed. best to ring ltsa and ask them. I think you can keep personalised plates.

Just walk into the postshop with your plates and see what happens. Rego expires after a year so I'll assume at max there will be 12 months of rego owed. I don't know that for certain though so there may be a work around.

You won't be stung for 5 years rego.

Pretty sure you keep the plates, personalised plates belong to the owner not the car, but you will have to pay the 1 years rego.

For checking the plates give licensys a call. They r usually very helpful. They will tell you if the plates are in your sisters name and she may have to write a letter or email to transfer it to you. Otherwise just take the plates and use it. They wont even know to be honest.

Just walk into the postshop with your plates and see what happens. Rego expires after a year so I'll assume at max there will be 12 months of rego owed. I don't know that for certain though so there may be a work around.

You won't be stung for 5 years rego.

i don't think i can personally walk up to the post shop and do that as i'm not the owner of the car?

so max 1 year rego payment.

need to cancel at postshop

Edited by Docile

I'd just ring LTSA and follow their directions. Explain the situation, I don't imagine they'd make anything impossible or too difficult. The car was last registered in 2009 so I'd just be telling them you're "disposing of it". Hold onto the plates though. Don't let them go with the vehicle.

I'm pretty sure someone will be up for 12 month rego though, or they'll be asking for it at least.

the current registered owner will get sent a payment demand for that outstanding rego (of one year, the time from it expiring to it deregistering), so make sure you know which address the car is registered to or you may make even more trouble if they send it to baycorp.

Keep the plates, let the plates people know they are no longer on that car.

If you are selling the car, and the new owner intends to re-register it, if you can try to give them an old certificate of ownership or something as that will help them to prove previous ownership of the car (and that it isnt stolen etc). If you dont give them anything they may come back to you so you can prove you sold it to them.

i hope its not a fwd car :ph34r:

because that matters in this situation? O_o

the current registered owner will get sent a payment demand for that outstanding rego (of one year, the time from it expiring to it deregistering), so make sure you know which address the car is registered to or you may make even more trouble if they send it to baycorp.

Keep the plates, let the plates people know they are no longer on that car.

If you are selling the car, and the new owner intends to re-register it, if you can try to give them an old certificate of ownership or something as that will help them to prove previous ownership of the car (and that it isnt stolen etc). If you dont give them anything they may come back to you so you can prove you sold it to them.

hmm last address is was registered to was our old house.......

would pay to talk to NZTA then, might be able to change the address or something.

What does the personalised plate say? Even tho it may have lapsed its rego whilst being registered onto the BMW it MAY still be able to registered to another vehicle.. So it shouldnt be trash like most people wouldnt normally think.