Sign in to follow this  
Evo30

BMW fuel surge tank

Hey peeps, just a quick question here.

I am planning to run a fuel surge on my street/track car. How I had it planned out in my head:

255LPH Intank fuel pump High pressure > Fuel Surge 1.5L > 255LPH external fuel pump High Pressure.

I was unable to find a low pressure pump that fits in to the e30 fuel tank location, any suggestions here?

Will be using factory mounting points for external fuel pump (near left hand side of subframe) Or if I go double external then I might mount the pumps in the boot with the surge tank.

Any suggestions at which Fuel pump would be recommended for the set up? Just wanted to know what people are using, I think my pumps are not cutting it. Seems to be dropping pressure on high RPM's, engine runs very lean above/around 5k rpm but rich on low RPM.

I looked in trademe and there are a lot of various fuel pumps, though wanted to see if anyone had any experiences or recommendations after their install.

Maybe something else is causing issue? I still need to change the fuel filters etc.

Cheers peeps.

just use the same size lift pump as the main feed pump and run the return line into the surge tank with a small bleed line from that back into the main tank

Any suggestions for lift pump? I found a few, though they were after market items not OEM, saw them on Ebay.

I might mount up a couple of 255LPH pumps to feed my engine since I will be aiming for around 500+ hp at wheels.

A lot of people run the factory pump as a lift .. But if you're shooting that high then you'll probably want to do it right

Be careful with some of the fuel pumps from Ebay. A couple I bought lasted 10 minutes and that is actually 10 minutes or less.

walbros have had some bad press with fakes.

most use bosch 055s I think

NZPerformance sell geniune Walbro 255LPH pumps.

My pre-FL e30 has: Pre-FL split tank -> connected to the standard intank collector -> Low pressure high volume external pump -> 1 ltr surge tank -> high pressure Walbro 255LPH external -> engine fuel rail hard lines -> stock s50b32 FPR -> Fuel Rail -> return hardline -> Surge tank.

All in the boot

Works awesome.

PS use teflon soft lines for no fuel smells in cabin.

I also wouldnt use a high pressure pump for collecting from your tank personally.

NZPerformance sell geniune Walbro 255LPH pumps.

My pre-FL e30 has: Pre-FL split tank -> connected to the standard intank collector -> Low pressure high volume external pump -> 1 ltr surge tank -> high pressure Walbro 255LPH external -> engine fuel rail hard lines -> stock s50b32 FPR -> Fuel Rail -> return hardline -> Surge tank.

All in the boot

Works awesome.

PS use teflon soft lines for no fuel smells in cabin.

I also wouldnt use a high pressure pump for collecting from your tank personally.

Cheers buddy. Just what I was looking for. Yeah I didnt want to run a High pressure pump in to surge but I wasnt able to find a low pressure high volume replacement. Do you remember what part number your LP HV pump was? and cost?

I will be replacing all rubber lines with teflon and adding in a couple of check valves and changing the inline filter.

While I'm back there I'll probably do something about the battery mounting, it kinda sucks sitting in the corner of the boot.