Sign in to follow this  
cmscss

Trouble programming IR keys for E46 316ti compact

Hi There,

I've replaced the batteries in one of my keys and am trying to programme it using the various guides I've found but am having no luck.

This is the procedure I've tried:

1. Insert key and turn to position 1
  2. Remove key
  3. Simultaneously hold the unlock button for 15sec and press the lock button 3 times within 5sec
  4. After letting go of the unlock button the doors should lock and unlock to confirm it’s programmed
  5. Immediately follow the same procedure for all keys until all are programmed
But instead of the doors locking/unlocking after step 4, the LED on the key starts flashing and the key doesn't work - I can confirm that both keys start the car.
I can't find a manual for this car so the info I have may be incorrect - can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?
Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Ben

(4) You must release, pause and press again... locks will lock & unlock to complete the procedure

And you don't use procedure 1 & 2 again for the following keys or you will change the rolling code again

All doors should be closed when doing this

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Thanks heaps for the reply but I'm still having trouble sorry - I tried this:

1. Insert key and turn to position 1
  2. Remove key
  3. Simultaneously hold the unlock button for 15sec and press the lock button 3 times within 5sec
  4. After letting go of the unlock button pause and press the unlock button once

Do you have to hold the unlock key for 15sec or more then 15sec - maybe I'm holding it down for too long? When I release the unlock key (after pressing the lock key 3 times) the light blinks and if I then press the unlock key again, nothing happens.

Do I have to pause longer until the blinks stop after releasing the unlock button maybe?

Sorry if this is easy but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Edited by cmscss

OK, so I found some info for an E39 which states that the driver's door must be closed or it will prevent all further programming.

The first time I tried it, I'm pretty sure the driver's door was open - so I guess I've locked it out if the E46 works the same way?

Is there a way to get the car to programme new keys using the original key (which still locks/unlocks the car)?

Edited by cmscss

For that procedure to work you must have the master key ... just because it unlocks the car doesn't mean that it is the master key.

If you don't have the master key you have to reset it to the key that you have.

Also you must have all doors and windows closed.

If you are not sure the key you have is the master key ... put it in the ignition ... turn it on and off 5 times in rapid succession - this initialises it as the master key and then repeat the usual procedure (hold unlock, then lock 3 times) release ... then repeat for other keys.

Edited by M3_Power

I'm located in Westmere - or Ponsonby during the day but happy to drive anywhere.

Cheers

Sorry, crossed posts.

@M3_Power I'm not sure what the master key is sorry - I was just given two IR remote keys, how can you tell which one is the master?

Cheers

OK, have just looked up the master key and I definitely don't have one of those - do I have to order one?

You can't without a scan tool.

Here have a read of this ... this has the cut and paste procedure from BMW TIS

I am gathering you have the older keys? (non diamond shape)

http://www.ebay.com/gds/BMW-Key-Programming-Reprogramming-/10000000007275614/g.html

Also are the keys originals or copies?

Edited by M3_Power

Come and see me tomorrow Ben with all your keys

All sorted? If not, I live in Ponsonby and have done the procedure many times on different cars. Happy to help if needed.