Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 side mirror folding problems

So my driver side mirror motor seems a little stuffed, or the gear has no teeth or something. Pressing the fold button seems to make the motor work because I can hear a loud as hell grinding sound coming out of the driver side mirror, but the actual mirror does not fold. I can manually move the mirror with my hand but can't get it to click in position or anything. Also, since the driver side mirror does not turn, it seems to be stopping the passenger side mirror from unfolding/folding as well.

(I know the passenger side mirror works fine because the gears don't make any noise and if by chance the driver side mirror 'clicks' in place by forcing it forward and out of position, then passenger side folds/unfolds fine).

My question is - has anyone come across this before and is this pretty much a dead mirror that needs replacement? Or does it sound like a DIY'able fix / needs some grease or something :P

Going to take it in for a look tomorrow or day after but wanted to get some ideas prior.

(If broken, maybe time to replace both mirrors with the m5 ones I been wanting..)

Cheers.

Forgot about this thread. I only have 9 other maintenance threads going concurrently, not enough. :P

Weird though, an hour after I posted this I crashed the car. Probably explains why I forgot about this...

I've considered getting the e39 m5 mirrors but not sure whether they're compatible.

M5 mirrors!

Should bolt straight on / plug straight in.( you probably have bigger things to worry about now though!) :)

M5 mirrors!

Should bolt straight on / plug straight in.( you probably have bigger things to worry about now though!) :)

Not too much, crash was almost 2 months ago and is all fixed now :P