Sign in to follow this  
zimbonz

Decent Wheels

Hi All,

I have been looking for some replacement wheels for a while. I would prefer OEM, but I am running a 2003 E60, and it seems like they are hard to find second hand. What do you think of these?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=789945388&cc=602&pid=327128816&hbc=&member_hash=&ct=title-link

Are replica's worth it?

The only OEM wheel you need to consider is the 19" style 172. Those ones above are fine but the 172s are stunning. A lot of UK E60s were optioned with these.

European auto spares have LOTS of wheels in stock, so whatever you do, don't buy straight off trademe through them. I was able to bargain them down $400 off the listed trademe price, for a full set of wheels.

I figure if you're looking at spending that sort of money, buy the real deal, why buy replicas when you could spend a bit more and have the full monte.

Imo style 359 look the part, style 351 are getting a bit over used/ lots of reps around. But that said each to their own.

European auto spares have LOTS of wheels in stock, so whatever you do, don't buy straight off trademe through them. I was able to bargain them down $400 off the listed trademe price, for a full set of wheels.

I figure if you're looking at spending that sort of money, buy the real deal, why buy replicas when you could spend a bit more and have the full monte.

Imo style 359 look the part, style 351 are getting a bit over used/ lots of reps around. But that said each to their own.

Thanks Toast - I wasn't aware that they did OEM wheels too. Will check them out.

The only OEM wheel you need to consider is the 19" style 172. Those ones above are fine but the 172s are stunning. A lot of UK E60s were optioned with these.

Cheers. I did a google search and found exactly the look I was trying for - same car as mine too :)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465519

Question though - I tried fitting 245 40 R19's on the front wheels, and they wouldn't fit, due to rubbing on the strut. I see the link above has 245's on the front, but seems to be a similar model to mine? My car is not lowered, so I am not sure why they wouldn't fit on mine.

(btw I tried these initially: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/alloy-wheels/auction-789927158.htm) and had to return them.

I looked up another link

http://www.tire-size.net/size/bmw/5e60/

and this confused me as the width details appear contradictory:

"Tire size 16 to 18, width 205 to 245 and tire aspect 40 to 60.
Smallest tire size: 205/60R16, Largest: 225/55R16."

My current tyres are 225's.

I read the sticky post about hub sizes, but to be honest I don't really understand them, anyone care to enlighten me? :)

Yeah not much, just learning. I assume the larger the ET number, the more space inside the hub the wheel takes up?

http://www.angelfire.com/biz7/bmwheelie/e60_wh.htm

This shows a 19" 245 (under style 172 M) with an ET of 18 that would be compatible. I suppose the larger the size of the wheel, in terms of width and radius, the smaller the ET needs to be, to fit?

So if I want to put 19"'s (width 245) the max ET would be 18 for my vehicle?

Edited by zimbonz

Semi right.

Offset has no relation to the diametre (15" 16" 17" 18" 19" 20" etc) of the wheel nor the width** (7" 7.5" 8" 8.5" 9" 9.5" etc)

[** depending on the width of the mag, it does change what the offset number means because its relative to the centre of the mag wheel. explained later with the photo]

Each car is designed with a certain space in the wheel arch. And how far out the wheel hubs are positioned. So the model of your car determines what offset you would need.

For your car the e60, judging from a link u posted above, they come factory with wheels that have et20 offset. (also known as +20 offset)

All you need to know is that your car will fit mags that have a ET 20/ +20 offset. Give or take a few mm so 18 should be fine.

if the number is lower, such as ET 10, then the wheels will stick further OUT of the car's body/fender.. agressive stance look

and if the number is higher, such as ET 30, then the wheels will be WAY further in towards the shocks and struts of the car, so either it wont fit because of clearance, OR if it JUST fits, it will look very silly cuz there will be a HUGE gap between the tyre and the guards/fender.

these numbers will mean different things depending on the car. for example, a 3 series bmw usually fit around 30-40 offset wheels, 5 series usually around 20, etc etc

edit: just grabbed this pic off google images. you dont need to know it but that explains what the offset numbers mean. in short its just the distance from the CENTRE of the mag wheel (width wise) ** to the surface of the hub.

post-3185-0-66712800-1412636458_thumb.jp

Edited by QUBE
  • Like 1

Ok, thanks I think I am getting there!

So I understand the factory wheels are ET20. I have 8 x 17's (Style 122) on now, which I would like to upgrade slightly in terms of size.

I notice that on the link:
http://www.angelfire.com/biz7/bmwheelie/e60_wh.htm

The second option from the bottom is what I want ideally. But the ET are 18 (front) and 32 (rear), but which appear to be compatible with the vehicle by the fact they are mentioned in the E60 list. The sizes of the wheels are obviously bigger though.This is what I am trying to get my head around, how is the potential to fit calculated, so I can choose appropriate wheels for my upgrade.

So the lower the ET - the further AWAY (out) from the body the wheel will sit. Which is important with a wider wheel, to prevent rubbing on the body inside?

They will fit. They come standard on some e60 models.

You should see that the fronts on the style 172 are 8". Same as your current wheels. But 18 offset not 20. So the front wheels should stick out 2mm more than your current wheels.

Rears are 9.5" where as yours are still 8".

With a bit of maths:

Current wheels:

20mm offset on 8" wheels results in roughly 3.2" from hub to outside if wheel.

Style 172 have 32mm offset on a 9.5" rear which results in roughly 3.5" from hub to outside of wheel so its a difference if 0.3".. which is not a big difference so its all good

Edit:
To answer your last question,simply. Yes. but as seen above, when comparing an 8" wheel to a 9.5" wheel the offset numbers are dont mean the same thing. Since tge 9.5" wheel has an offset of 32 but sticks further out than the 8" wheel with 20 offset. This is because of the difference in width of 1.5".

Edit again:

the reason why those 20" wheels you posted dont fit is because they are not 550i wheels.. they are M6 wheels.

you can get them to work with certain tyre sizes and spacers (spacers are things that you put in between the hub of your car and the mags to 'increase' the offset, usually to make them sit further out for looks OR to clear the struts)

here is a link i found online that has some info on it. i cant be bothered reading it in detail but seems like others have made it work

have a look

http://5series.net/forums/e60-parts-accessories-mods-22/m6-167-wheel-offset-2008-550i-41152/

Edited by QUBE

Hey thanks so much for your time to explain that to me. I understand it much better now - and yes I see the logic, and I will know what to look for.

You are 100% correct about that auction, they are not from a 5 series as stated. I asked him about the offfset, and he came back saying the fronts were 33... (Probaby 30) but certainly not right for my vehicle (not to keen on the idea of spacers).

Thanks again for the help.

no worries.

(p.s. I think the style 172's are ugly and Im pretty sure a set of those on a old 5 series sold for like under 1k a while back on the forums. meaning they wheels arent worth a whole lot maybe... there are surely better alternatives?? just an opinion lol)

good luck

I'm quite partial on 19" Style 128s on the e60. But then I am kind of biased.

6902AE5F-C2D1-4FAC-A736-E2EF9D947853.jpg

The 172 are too fussy looking for me.