Sign in to follow this  
///MPROVD

e36 crank and cam sensors faulty?

Hey guys ive have been trying to fix this forever and a day my e36 320i is a hybrid of a m52 and a m50 it have m52 long block and m50 everything else

Ive been trying to get the damn thing to work.

ive brought 2 brand new crank sensors but still no good

The car wont start it will crank but no start if I unplug the crank sensor it will splutter and start. While it is running I can plug crank sensor back in and drive fine till the car is hot and it will start everytime perfectly but when the car is cold it again will not start.

Ive replaced 2xnew crank sensors and 3x used cam sensors ive tried m52 sensors and m50 sensors

Scanner picks up no faults the ecu refuses to acknowledge any faults despite me intentionally unpluging sensors.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers guys

I recently learned M52 TDC is something like 8 teeth left, M50 TDC is 14 teeth right on crank pulley. (Cheers for the heads up Dave!!)

MIght or might no help, but given you're running a frankenengine it could be worth looking into :)

Edited by Ahmedsinc

M50 ecu. realoem said pulleys are the same but not sure

As said above, trigger position between m50 and m52 are different. Make sure you are running the m50 trigger wheel. And make sure the cps is mounted in the same location on m50 and m52 timing covers, I don't have both here to compare.

Have you had a similar problem with these pulleys I can understand how it would effect car. But what about the fact that is starts no problem when its hot with the crank sensor pluged in. Not super keen to change crank pulley but if I have yo I will

Checked pulleys againg look as tho there could be a difference so ill be changing it asap

Have also found that the pulley bolts bind against the timing chain cover when fitting to an M54, not sure if you'll have the same problem but make sure you check that it will turn by hand BEFORE you put the belts back on and turn it over on the starter motor. Otherwise you'll have a munched timing cover and oil seal to contend with too :)

Yeah that happens when you remove the AC pulley and just run the trigger wheel too.