Sign in to follow this  
rollas22

Dizzy timing

What have you done?

Changed points and condensor?

Have you gapped the points correctly?

Rotor seated properly?

Did you put your plug leads back on correctly ( that would cause nice big misfires )

Firing order should be 1 3 4 2 for your motor.

Replaced headgaskit.

THe head got skimmed at the engine rebuilders and they removed the cam and the dizzy. so im guessing that they didnt put the dizzy back in the correct position...

So when i put it all back together, piston 1 TDC (top dead centre), exhaust and inlet closed on cyilnder 1, cam aligned to timing mark. now i think the dizzy must be in the incorect position... is there a mark that it must line too. or will i need to move it round until it actually runs?

then use timing light to get it correct?

So when i put it all back together, piston 1 TDC (top dead centre), exhaust and inlet closed on cyilnder 1, cam aligned to timing mark. now i think the dizzy must be in the incorect position... is there a mark that it must line too. or will i need to move it round until it actually runs?

then use timing light to get it correct?

As someone winds the car over, just turn the dizzy either way until it fires up -- that's if you have set it up ( cam timing and dizzy timing ) correctly.

Yeah - then use the timing light to finalise the timing. Also - as the car is being wound over, have the timing light running and look at your timing marks - this will show you if you are within cooey of being setup correctly.

Just double check you have TDC, and firing on no1 and your rotor is pointing to spark plug lead No1.... or within the turning range of your dizzy ( center of turning range is best )

It's incredably easy to time an engine one tooth out, been done a million times.