Sign in to follow this  
5amchris

E36 Jatco Help?

Hey guys,

So i just bought a new 328I (1995) and it like them all has the stupid jatco box, Just kinda wanting to know your ideas?

It's pretty bad, when coming to a stop it drops into neutral it has the jerk from 1st to second ALL The time!

Yes, I could 5 speed it, but to be honest, I kinda want to stay with the auto.

Should I just give it a service and see how it goes?

Could I see if hellBM have a good auto with no problems and just service that and swap them over?

And can't seem to find much on the web but I'm guessing I couldn't swap the box with a ZF auto?

Cheers Guys.

To my knowledge once it has the Jatco Jerk its a goner. You could try a service, but i doubt it'd fix it.

Best bet is to either get a known good jatco and cross your fingers, or convert to manual. Remember, low KM doesnt mean its a good box (my old 323i had a jerky jatco, about as bad as yours by the sounds of it, and had under 80,000km on the clock)

Not sure about the ZF auto, the mechanicals arent rocket science, but not sure if the electrics to control it are the same.

Edited by KwS

Better off to ditch the jacto. _Mark_ (IIRC) spent $000's of his mechanical insurers money trying to fix it and it never went away. You are better off getting hold of a ZF auto, so much better. Brent usually has a couple.

Not too sure as I've never really looked into it but brent or ray will know