Sign in to follow this  
Arma

Steering tilt on road incline / bumps (e39)

On a maintenance thread marathon.

I've noticed my steering wheel moves/tilts a bit more than it used to when going over bumps or on uneven roads with small incline to one side. It's nothing drastic but I feel like I am focusing slightly more on keeping the steering wheel steady than I used to. I'm quite picky with these things so maybe that's why I notice it so much. Any idea what it might be? Obviously a suspension part, if it gets to that. Just some info to help:

• Have done wheel alignment last week
  • front left control arm is less than a year old
  • front left thrust arm is less than 2 yrs old
  • front right tie rod is just a few months old
  • rear ball joints have been replaced less than a year ago
  • sway bars seem fine, including links and bushings
  • front sub frame was replaced few months ago

No idea when shocks were last replaced. Any info is useful, before I get it looked at.

Worn tyres can have quite an effect on bump steer, also tyre pressure. Check the easy things first!

Newish parts can be easily worn, the may have been faulty etc, or just be crappy quality.

Also - I would say MOST places that do wheel alignments shouldn't be allowed to - guessing it at home might give a better result!

Worn tyres can do it too, and certain types of tyre are worse than others too.

Have driven it around a bit and feel it's not really bad. I believe I was overthinking it. Can't seem to replicate the issue, which was never hugely noticeable in the first place..

Thanks for the replies though. My tyres will be due in a few months as well and after visiting Glenn yesterday, found that the profiles are the wrong way round on the tires for a staggered setup. Apparently need to be 45's on the rear and 40's up front. Currently got 255 40 17s rear, 235 35 17 front.