Sign in to follow this  
trj1965

98 318Ti Remote Lock? Any major dramas?

Have just purchased 98 Ti, have yet to collect vehicle but I note that the key fob has buttons for remote locking/unlocking (I assume that is there purpose) but the seller told me it doesn't have remote locking. I didn't try it but is Is it likely that the batteries are flat or the remote is kaput and he doesnt really want to shag around getting it sorted? Batteries I can easily replace but I am wondering if anyone can tell me how much of a drama a new remote is for this model plus having it coded or synced of whateverthehell is required?

thanks in advance, I know NOTHING about Beemers but am looking forward to learning.

Depends on the type of remote locking it has, if it's infrared it's generally pretty useless anyway.

you can try reparing the remote once you put new batteries in it

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475192

the keys have an additional security transponder which you cannot program without dealer tools.

There are all kinds of different arguments to what keys cost $250-$500 is about what we see.

Is it a E36 Compact as they can have either a infrared or radio remote set up. The infrared type with two buttons these batteries can easily be swapped out the three button diamond shape key radio type are a little more difficult plus these are charged through the transducer ring when in the ignition lock. The keys may simple be out of sync and need to be reset. The site Michael has posted seem to cover it all best of luck.