Sign in to follow this  
Tidy30

WTB: m20b20 or m20b25 motor...

Team,

The old cabrio seems to have given up the ghost and I am on the hunt for a slightly urgent replacement motor.

I am interested in both b20s and b25s due to the timing. A nice and lowish km engine would be perfect. Looking for Auckland motors only however due to time.

If you have something, or could point me in the direction of someone who does I would be very grateful.

Cheers guys :)

When you say it has given up the ghost, what has happened, pretty serious to need a whole new engine?

Is the M20B20 in it at the moment an L-Jet (got a dizzy on the side) or the later motronic (Dizzy on the front of the engine up the top)? You can swap one into the other, but much easier if you swap like-for-like.

The current engine is motronic I guess, with the distributor on the front.

The head gasket has been a bit iffy and I was always going to swap the engine one day. I went away for a little while, came back and somehow had lost compression in 2 of the cylinders. Have been quoted some pretty reasonable prices to swap engines, but need to source one.

Going to look at one on Sunday, but it is always good to know more since I'm not too keen on choosing this one solely based on the fact there's nothing else available at the time.

You have a spare lying around Jon? Give you a fair price! :)

I've got a b23 Ljet if you get desperate, has loom and computer, just no flywheel or airflow meter

Thanks guys, towing old Cabrio in to Ray tomorrow afternoon to transplant new organs. It's another b20, but pretty low k's so I'm pretty happy.

• Like 1

Just for some closure:

Sweet Jesus lord the new motor is silly smooth. 143k kms feels like I'm driving an electric car.

Also finally fixed my heater so no more stubborn-induced hypothermia! Can't believe how much nicer it is not freezing at night with the top down.

Next up is a proper headunit on Saturday and she will be ready for action!!

Big thanks to Ray, saw first hand the reason people rave on about him here, great work :)

PS any period-correct looking headunits with auxi ports from non-Chinese brands? Found a good lookingish Jaycar one but now a bit worried it will sound like awfulness.

Use an amplifier and a Bluetooth line in. Forget the head unit unless you want to listen to the radio ..