Sign in to follow this  
Moweracer

E46 Sound Advice

Hi Guys,

I have a NZ new E46 330i. I would like to upgrade the sound system a little. It has a tape deck and a CD changer as well as a multifunction steering wheel. They all work fine and I am keen to keep the head unit and steering wheel working.

I would like to add the ability to play from a USB and control tracks etc from the steering wheel. Maybe an aux input . I believe the head unit has another aux input plug next to the cd input on the back of the headunit.

I would be happy to add a subwoofer somewhere to add extra bass.

Any thoughts on options

Baz

I have a Harman/Kardon subwoofer system that mounts under the rear parcel shelf.

Stripped from my E46 M3. Should fit other E46s, not sure if sedans are different.

Let me know if interested.

I replaced the head unit with the factory Single CD & then added a DICE unit for an ipod/iphone instead of the 6 disc stacker in the boot. This kept all the std steering wheel functions & no doubt you could find one that does USB sticks (maybe a Grom unit)

Baz

You could add something link a Dension BT lite gateway (ebay ) . Gives you steering wheel control of iPhone music , has USB in and also acts as a hands free phone kit . Will also support portable hard drives full of music up to 250 gig.

HK subwoofer is an easy way to go. Will pretty much bolt in and you only need to punch out the two pre-cut metal holes in the middle of the rear parcel shelf.

Otherwise if you have the rear ski hatch back set just get an 8,10 or twelve inch sub and build a custom box an fire the sub through the ski hatch, connect an amp via rear speaker output. Just ask if you want more info on how to do this.

Hiya,

Thanks very much for the options. I will look into them and then see what I decide to do.

Has any one tried the under seat subwoofer set up ?

Cheers

Baz

• Like 1

I actually have 2 of the Pioneer 8" Under Seat Woofers going into the ute. My brother has 2 of them in his patrol, and well, they are pretty good for what they are. As long as they are wired in Mono and 2 channel for lower ohm, you should get a decent sound. I would dynemat your parcel shelf if you plan on sticking it in there. If you manage to get your boot air tight, it would sound pretty good.

Thanks Nik,

It looks like the sedans are different. I looked at the parcel shelf and it has no cut outs that can be removed. My car has the through load system and I checked on ETK and the only option is the sub in the spare wheel or 2 split subs on each side where the current speakers are. I might have to make a custom box in the boot and hide as much as I can. Cheers for the offer.

Baz

I have ordered a Dension BT Lite. Its on its way from hungary. Will keep you posted as to how it works out.

Cheers

Baz

Thanks Nik,

It looks like the sedans are different. I looked at the parcel shelf and it has no cut outs that can be removed. My car has the through load system and I checked on ETK and the only option is the sub in the spare wheel or 2 split subs on each side where the current speakers are. I might have to make a custom box in the boot and hide as much as I can. Cheers for the offer.

Baz

I use to work for a sound shop it botany a few years ago, so let me know if you need a hand with a custom box. We use to use the upper battery trim cover to build a custom box that looked factor and gave a decent sound note. Then ran the wiring to the amp mounted on the other side where the factory amp sits.

• Like 1

Bit of an update. I have received the Dension light bt from Budapest. I tried to fit and found it didn't work so our good friend google helped me to find out that I have to remove the CD changer in the boot not just disconnect from the head unit. Once connected it works a treat. Connected my phone via Bluetooth and can stream music and answer my phone from multufuction steering wheel. Can also put a usb stick and play through and it shows song titles etc. Very cool I would recommend to any one thing of doing the same.

Now just have to work on the subwoofer. Think I will make up a box that will go where the cd changer used to be. Might take up the offer of some advice of what to fit.

Cheers Baz B)

Glad you like the Dension , IMO they are the best of the single box Iphone / USB integration solutions for factory intergration.

Subwoofer amp wise if your not into payment pounding then a small form factor class D AMP would give plenty of mounting options.

No doubt something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRECISION-POWER-PPI-A900-1-ATOM-900W-MAX-SPEAKERS-AMP-MOTORCYCLE-MINI-AMPLIFIER-/121378222210?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item1c42b4b082&vxp=mtr it could mount next to the factory amp. It's good for 350 rms into a 4 ohm load which is plenty.

In terms of enclosure work out how much room (enclosure volume ) you have and that will help select what subwoofer options you have.

Let us know on room and we can suggest some options.

Alternatively a small IB setup via your ski hatch will yield excellent results. You'll get the jist from http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=473030

I went a bit further , but can vouch for ski hatch style installs. Give excellent rattle free bass results and helps avoid boot lid rattle. You don't need as much power

sub_zpsbd0ca8b0.jpg

RIMG0631_zps1daf729c.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, does the Dension unit cater for Android phones or just Apple?

cheers Matt

Check out my post in sound audio. I used an anycarlink. If you want a sub you can probably use a line converter to amp. Wouldn't recommend it for powering mids and highs but should be okay for sub's due to the low frequency and unidirectional sound.

cheers Matt

Anycarlink works with both android and apple. Has an aux in and also USB

Glad you like the Dension , IMO they are the best of the single box Iphone / USB integration solutions for factory intergration.

Subwoofer amp wise if your not into payment pounding then a small form factor class D AMP would give plenty of mounting options.

No doubt something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRECISION-POWER-PPI-A900-1-ATOM-900W-MAX-SPEAKERS-AMP-MOTORCYCLE-MINI-AMPLIFIER-/121378222210?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item1c42b4b082&vxp=mtr it could mount next to the factory amp. It's good for 350 rms into a 4 ohm load which is plenty.

In terms of enclosure work out how much room (enclosure volume ) you have and that will help select what subwoofer options you have.

Let us know on room and we can suggest some options.

Alternatively a small IB setup via your ski hatch will yield excellent results.  You'll get the jist from http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=473030

I went a bit further , but can vouch for ski hatch style installs. Give excellent rattle free bass results and helps avoid boot lid rattle. You don't need as much power

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you're stuck for space .. I've in the past run digital designs Max x displacement speakers in the rear shelf. Sub's are large diameter so that they can move more air (displacement) .. But you can go to a smaller diameter if you find a speaker which will travel more and have the same performance .. Digital designs have such tech. Pretty good bass out of a pair of 6in mids mounted in the rear.

cheers Matt

Hi Matt,

Works with my S3. Awesome bluetooth streaming and hands free phone operation. Can also plug into unit via cable. I just have a USB stick plugged in all the time and connect via bluetooth for phone operation. Make sure if you get one you remove the CD changer it wont work unless you do. Also read the instruction and you can get the song titles to dsplay on your head unit.

I think its a great bit of kit.

Baz B)

Edited by Moweracer
  • Like 1

Thanks guys,

Car's got the Harmon Kardon system so pretty good set up bar the BT.

cheers Matt

I got my old e46 fitted with sub and amp in the boot and Alpine system in the cabin. Had BT and all connections, sounded great.

Not having the steering wheel buttons was fine considering getting that to work was going to be very expensive.