Sign in to follow this  
Clive

2007 120i battery repacement

Hi,

Any advice on replacing a Din 55 battery with a Din 66 battery ?.On a 2007 120i.

The battery is 2 3/4 years old with no known history, Jap import. 3 months ago.

Alternator is fine, discharge at rest after 40 mins is app 30 milliamps, but battery is

loosing charge at app 4 amps a day !.

I only do 2~3 thousand ks a year ,so car its in garage for up to 2 weeks.

Edited by Clive

Is the vehicle going into sleep mode ?

i have had HELLA batteries a couple of times,bought from a "battery town" auto electrician.The 120 d had a battery from hell so i am sure there is room for a bigger one than a 55

Get/test the battery properly. If it is infact .03 amp discharge on sleep mode (after about 20 mins) then that is ok. Might be prudent to confirm that with a multi meter. Where are you getting your losing 4 amps a day claim from - how are you coming by that?

Very unusual for an OEM battery to prematurely fail. From what you say - it has already been replaced a few years ago with its second?

That would make two in 7 years. The originals usually last more than that.

If you can phisically fit a bigger battery, (they normally cater for varying sizes) then do so. Bear in mind though - it wont fix an underlying issue, only delay the inevitable. If the car is going to have random use between sitting - it will go flat. I have a garage queen that does exactly that at times.

As Paul says above - Hella Endurant are about the best around if replacement is required.

Very unusual for an OEM battery to prematurely fail. From what you say - it has already been replaced a few years ago with its second?

That would make two in 7 years. The originals usually last more than that

very true - Our E39 had a battery under warranty in very early 2004 (unusual) - It's still in there now though, very nearly 11 years later.

Dads E30 had it's forst battery replacement after 11 or 12 years too - then another a year later - turns out an alternator fault wasn't charging the battery - the first was probably OK for a bit longer ^_^

amp discharge a day, based on Trojan Battery guide (USA } this gives % of charge based on volitage at rest after discharging surface charge.

Voltage after 2 days is now 12.47, (78%).

I use Trojan Batterys on my yacht.

Hi Clive,

Based on my experience .03 amp draw is okay, you should see minimum of 13.8v to max around 14.5v charging while engine is revving above 1000rpm.

I am not sure on your Trojan guide at all sounds to complicated to me, if intact it was loosing 4 amps per day from no use it would be flat within a few weeks and what that his may be alluding to is with short drives the battery is not recovering the energy lost through the starting process.

What I would do is use one of the modern battery chargers the ones which can do calcium and gell batteries and fully charge it let it sit for a day then work out the trojan table over the following days probably come up with a different figure.

I suspect you may have to purchase a battery tender you are probably not quite using it enough to keep the battery in tip top order.

Dave.

Hi, I think I have phrased the question incorrectly.

Thanks for all attempts at help.

The loss of 4 Ahrs a day was arrived at using a multimeter for voltage Plus a derivative of Peukert's Law.

My understaning of a 55 Ahr battery is the rating is based on 20 hrs, ie. 20 hrs at 2.75 A discharge.

Thanks again Clive.