Sign in to follow this  
Mack10

E39 EDC?

I'll start by saying sorry as I'm sure this has probably been covered but it seems the search function tips out 3 letter words so it gave me zero results...

I have just bought a 99 540i and it has EDC. Has anybody converted from EDC to coilovers? And what is involved? I've had a look around the hub/knuckle and can't see any additional connectors etc except for the sensor? on the top of the strut. Is it a straight swap?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Not looking for opinions on the merits of doing this, just what's involved please :)

Thanks

Edited by Mack10

A friend of mine tried to o down this road and I remember it was not possible. Did you try ask some coilover OEMs?

I try to remember. I think electronics and recoding involved... not sure though

Ive just test fitted some coil overs in my 540i donor car with EDC, and have not had any errors appear. Was a straight swap and I just tucked the sensors etc away. Mind you I have had the battery disconnected for a few weeks.

I have EDC in my 740i. And it's disconnected.

Theres wires coming out of the top of the struts. Simply look down the wire and you'll see a box where they can be unpluged. It's no big deal and you'll have no errors as stated above.

So all you need to do is pull them out and install your coilovers and happy motoring.

Note the wire coming out of the top of the strut and where its attached to the strut housing wall. Unplug there.

Ext%20Color%20Label-sticker%20E38.jpg

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 1