Sign in to follow this  
keen

Mini key problem

I have a mini cooperS 2005 and are having problems with the remote lock and unlock. Both of the two keys are giving the same result. But today something different happened. operated by the door it would not open but put in front of the receiver at the windscreen it opened and locked the car, I then opened it again and walked away to the garage about 10 meters away, after about 3 - 4 min I heard a faint click. on investigating I noticed the car had locked itself without the usual chirp from the alarm. I had suspected the key battery some time back and replaced the battery with a new one ( an interesting exercise as the maker definitely does not want you to get into them) Now given this problem has anyone got a suggestion as to what would be next to look at? I have re introduced both keys to the car again but just to cover all aspects with the key. where to next. it will open the manual way

Ken, did the keys operate at all after you last re associated them to the car? If so - did they both stop at the same time?

Hi grant not sure, exactly as i put up with using one manually for a while before trying the other. But in short both sometimes will open the doors but it appears that they are weak as sometimes after a trip they work close to the car but at the end of the day they wont. both behave the same but one has a new batt. My assumption is that the batt in the keys are OK as there is no difference between the operation of both keys. I could be wrong but it seems further afield to me something on the car. If they were not associated they would not work at all, am I correct? I appears to me that the car receiver is not getting a strong enough signal through it. Is it possible the receiver is faulty in its operation? Why 2 keys giving trouble? with same fault?

Ken, First thing I would be doing to eliminate the obvious is to confirm the battery voltage in each remote. New battery does not necessarily mean a good one. I realize you say they are both the same but eliminate this first.

Yes I would say key association with the car would be constant.

Can't say I have come across this problem

Why do I have problems that are difficult ? why not ones that everyone has had experience with? How long are the batt in the keys That they don't want you to get into supposed to last?