Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

Awesome e21

Andrew, how could you! :o

In fact, you should send those to people and tell them its your henna project car finished.. :lol:

Probably wouldn't look that bad with a proper paint job, and some HUGE wheels, but I'd say the budget ran out long ago just quietly........I saw recently somewhere a similar kit to make your E30 look like an E46 M3 CSL- or so the makers claimed, it actually looked terrible, all those curvy spoilers on a square cut car....It kind of reminds me of that Metallic Blue E30 that I see occasionally on the Nth Shore, it has one of those outrageous WIDE bodykits that were popular in Europe in the late 80's early 90's, complete with the Testarossa flutes etc. and some humungeous BBS wheels on it, think it had turbo M20 but not sure. Anyone else seen/know of it?

Edited by conrod

Probably wouldn't look that bad with a proper paint job, and some HUGE wheels, but I'd say the budget ran out long ago just quietly........I saw recently somewhere a similar kit to make your E30 look like an E46 M3 CSL- or so the makers claimed, it actually looked terrible, all those curvy spoilers on a square cut car....It kind of reminds me of that Metallic Blue E30 that I see occasionally on the Nth Shore, it has one of those outrageous WIDE bodykits that were popular in Europe in the late 80's early 90's, complete with the Testarossa flutes etc. and some humungeous BBS wheels on it, think it had turbo M20 but not sure. Anyone else seen/know of it?

yes it looks hideous! Agree about the wheels, look totally out of place.

Guest Spargo

"BMW M4" is badass. No one is allowed to bad mouth it.

It has the power to back up the outrageous looks.

I'm with Conrod on that car. It is definitely an acquired taste. It may have power, but it doesn't have class.

Guest Andrew

it only has 270 hp - you'd expect a turbo monster to be crazier than that.

All reiger kits are horrible - esp. for e30.

If they did away with the Testarossa slats it would probably look sharp as.

Just one thing too many maybe.

THATS THE ONE!!!!!! The look is definitely dated now, and I have only seen the car driving down the road, but it looks like it was put together quite well, and no doubt would have cost moonbeams for whoever built it. Anyone know the history of it?I first saw it many years ago, and seem to see it occasionally on the Nth Shore. It has a strange sort of appeal to me in a kind of "big hair-bright clothes eighties rock" kind of way, sort of like watching "Flashbacks" on C4.........

Guest Andrew

THATS THE ONE!!!!!! The look is definitely dated now, and I have only seen the car driving down the road, but it looks like it was put together quite well, and no doubt would have cost moonbeams for whoever built it. Anyone know the history of it?I first saw it many years ago, and seem to see it occasionally on the Nth Shore. It has a strange sort of appeal to me in a kind of "big hair-bright clothes eighties rock" kind of way, sort of like watching "Flashbacks" on C4.........

south african import factory turbo - perhaps an alpine one.

NZ owner bodykitted it.

NZ owner bodykitted it.

so you are saying it has a factory fitted turbo? Which engine, is it the SA M30 turbo (M102 I think it was coded, used in the SA 745i) or an M20 turbo (which I have not heard of ex factory? By the way, I know of an M30 turbo which is for sale, had a lot of money spent on it, I'll get some more details and post them up if anyone is interested.

Guest Andrew

NZ owner bodykitted it.

so you are saying it has a factory fitted turbo? Which engine, is it the SA M30 turbo (M102 I think it was coded, used in the SA 745i) or an M20 turbo (which I have not heard of ex factory? By the way, I know of an M30 turbo which is for sale, had a lot of money spent on it, I'll get some more details and post them up if anyone is interested.
m20 - by factory i meant it was an alpine car - they used to take new BMWs in SA and turbo them with very well done kits. William (topless) knows heaps about them. Dinan also used to do a turbo setup on m20 which looks similar to the setup on this car.

Guest Spargo

I have an article on the Alpine Turbo on my comp at the flat, which i'll post up when i'm next home.

OT: can someone confirm for me that the turbo unit on the M102 motor was actually braced to the chassis?

I have an article on the Alpine Turbo on my comp at the flat, which i'll post up when i'm next home.

OT: can someone confirm for me that the turbo unit on the M102 motor was actually braced to the chassis?

I'd be very interested in seeing that article if you could find it. As I said earlier, a friend of mine has an M102 engine (details will be posted soon- it is for sale) but as it is only an engine and not fitted to the car I could not say for sure that the turbo was not braced to the car. But I will say this, it is very unlikely it was, the the idea of a turbo support is to support the weight of the turbo and downpipe, to prevent it from breaking the exhaust manifold. The support usually allows a bit of movement in a lateral direction, to allow for expansion and contraction, but not in a vertical direction. As the engine moves on its rubber mounts, this relative movement between engine and chassis would deem a chassis mounted brace ineffective. The exception to this, is if an an engine is solidly mounted, as they are in many race cars.Also, many cars do not have a brace fitted, it depends on the design and strength of the exhaust manifold.Hope that makes sense. Edited by conrod

Guest Spargo

Perfect sense. Yea it seemed odd to me as well when I heard that, but who knows until one actually sees a 745i?