Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

car advice wanted

Guest Andrew

looking to get something like a 95ish Hilux Surf - pref diesel and manual. Anything i should look out for on these cars? All it needs to do is tow the car/trailer - hold people - never die. Have been told to avoid the 2.4

Looking to spend around 8 g -

I have an Isuzu Bighorn in stock but i've been told they are just POS. Any other brands i should be looking at?

Landcruisers are the business

Fo Shizzle, I tow my rally car around with a 92 LandCruiser, it's super comfy, super roomy, super economical and goes hard, just gotta make sure you have good tranny cooling......

If you get a Surf ONLY get the 3L diesel (1KZ-T or 1KZ-TE) the 2.4's are crap. Then intercool and big zorst it, then turn up the fuel (then it'll prolly be quicker than the race car :jap: )

Edited by E34-535ti

pajero junior = wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding, are tiny, and only 1300cc

bighorn - engines are good, dont really have probs, will miss/smoke a little if injectors arent tops. feel slow, but are torqey.

surfs are good, 3litre t/diesel ones especially....

thought of perhaps a 3litre hiace van?

landcruiser = $10k plus for anyhting decent, even straight from japan

pajero junior = wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding, are tiny, and only 1300cc

Was hoping people would realise i was kidding.

All good yo!

Pajero Junior too small.

Petrol V6 Surfs and the 2.4s are known for head problems and can be expensive. These can be helped by putting a free flowing exhaust on them.

Landcruisers and Nissan safaris are a solid truck, but big and bulky. However, they'll pull the earth out of orbit.

Bighorns are solid, not as big as the safari or landcruiser, but still a very capable vehicle and well specced. Speaking from experience. Early versions had the 2.8 turbo diesel, with and without intercooler. Intercooled ones a prick to do oil changes on, as are the newer 3.1 turbo intercooled diesels. Needa remove the intercooler to get at the oil filter.

Hope that helps.

wow, my mate was going on about 2.4L head problems and how a free flow exhaust is supposed to help.

Landcruisers are good but probably overpriced for what you'd want it for, 3.0L surf be just as good and a bit better on the road as they are independent in the front.

Only thing with toyota is their mega ripoff parts. massive markup on certain bits, up to and over 800% markup over cost.

yuh know that majorly, used to work at toyota NZ in the warehouse, haha, looking at parts prices, then cost, then retail, huge, huge markups.

get a l/cruiser, fully pimp.

actually, get a 1982 mitsubishi sigma station wagon with towbar, they pull cars on car trailors, have done it before :lol:

Edited by bmwsparkle

wow, my mate was going on about 2.4L head problems and how a free flow exhaust is supposed to help.

Landcruisers are good but probably overpriced for what you'd want it for, 3.0L surf be just as good and a bit better on the road as they are independent in the front.

Only thing with toyota is their mega ripoff parts. massive markup on certain bits, up to and over 800% markup over cost.

3.0L V6 petrol surfs have weak heads too beware.

And while I think about it - stay away from diesel Pajeros and diesel mazdas.

Theres a select few that are ok, but generally they aint terribly reliable.

Landcruiser's are awesome. Our family has had one for 15 years.. 300,000+ k's and never had any problems. Very reliable car and does the business, it'd be fine for towing.

Guest Andrew

Well landcruiser is a bit of the the budget -

i'm test driving and probably buying this one

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction...06003&key=16095

Guy seems real honest - has the reciepts for motor work. Needs two front tyres - and i can probably walk away with it for 7000.

Has the 3 ltr motor - manual - diesel SSR-G seems to be a highish spec

according to the VIR it has the 1KZ motor.

Guy seems real honest - has the reciepts for motor work. Needs two front tyres - and i can probably walk away with it for 7000.

Looks good from what i can see lol.

Tyres will set you back about 200 each for good road ones. Look for any signs of rust around the rear tail gate - might have been used as a launch vehicle for a boat thats all.

And check the 4x4 works properly, that one has auto hubs and are a right real prick to fix if they jam up.

And do some tight turns in 4x4 mode, the front wheels should 'skid' as it were as they'll be locked up - if it only skids one way then one of the hubs is busted. And check the front CV boots :)

cheers heaps for the help muzzie

Happy to help :)

If you get it, I'd put a free flow zorst on it to be on the safe side. Always keep an eye on the temp gauge and flush the radiator reguarly. They're good trucks if maintained.

Had one at a place I was working for some time ago - older model but same motor. Had like 400,000 kms on it, smoked like a coal power plant but you couldn't fault it. Damn torquey too. Went for a cruise up Hunua road in it and it went like stink.

Cambelt snapped as I turned into the work driveway again......... :(

Edited by Muzzie

Guest Andrew

well i'm now the proud owner of a 3 ltr turbo diesel manual hilux SSR-G - recaros are badass - goes well - drives nicely.

Did all the 4x4 lockup stuff you said it should muzzie.

Flew through a WOF the other day.

post-18-1134096011.jpg

Good score Andrew just one thing missing.. mud.. go and get it dirty.

Guest Andrew

hell no i'm an aucklander - these things never leave suburbia :D

sweet, all good. Lose the decals tho.

Welcome to the world of slow and god awful handling :)

Soccer mum in disgusie hehe

well it does say "urban sport" on the side... There fore it may never know what mud is.... :lol:

If you need help getting it dirty Andrew, let me know - you should have seen the Camry after gravel bashing out to the forest then mud bashing thru the forest... all at 3am... it was caked. Not bad for a front wheel drive! (I know, wait until I get my Landcruiser - ill be even worse...)

Looks like a very nice wagon bro - would you like me to see if it goes sideways? :lol: :mosh: