Sign in to follow this  
jin108

New member - 2007 E90 335i

Hi guys

Thought i would introduce myself to the forum. I bought my first BMW a few months ago and love it. Its a fuily optioned 335i sedan including:

- Logic 7 stereo (single most awesome option you can have imo :))

- Active steering (didnt know i had it until did a search on what it was - just thought that is how BMWs handle lol)

- Sunroof

- Msport package

- Comfort access

- idrive

- SGM colour with dakota leather interior

So far the only thing I have done is a tint. It is screwing with the comfort access so need to get a non-metallised tint on it.

Mods im planning to do:

- JB 4

- BMS DCI

- FMIC

- M3 front suspension refresh

- Michelins PSS or A/S 3 (will do this when the linglongs are worn out - yeah i cant believe the previous owner put them on lol)

- Eicbach pro springs and FSD shocks

- Blackline rear lights and side indicators

- Convert ashtray to sunglass holder with iphone dock

- Replace analogue tv tuner with hybrid tuner (just arrived today)

Im also thinking of changing the subframe bushings. Does anyone have a tool to do this? Rather not take to a shop if I can do myself.

Also thinking of getting a BOV but wary because it can get annoying. Anyone here installed one? How do you find it over time?

Will post pics once I have cleaned and detailed her up nicely. Shes a bit grubby at the moment :)

another SGM :D

let me know if you find someone with the subframe bushing tool, I couldn't find anyone here , but I have found online where to buy the tool (keen to find someone else to split the cost of it) , still have the M3 subframe bushings to install :S after doing the M3 suspension conversion

BOV - it's all personal tbh - I love mine :D

Edited by mod335

another SGM :D

let me know if you find someone with the subframe bushing tool, I couldn't find anyone here , but I have found online where to buy the tool (keen to find someone else to split the cost of it) , still have the M3 subframe bushings to install :S after doing the M3 suspension conversion

BOV - it's all personal tbh - I love mine :D

I saw it was about US 500 somewhere which is a bit ridiculous for a one time job. A group buy would be good but prefer more buyers to lower the cost.

I was thinking a group buy for the walnut blaster would be awesome. ECS sells one for about US 1k.

Love your build too Suresh. Its a beast! Congrats dude

• Like 1

I saw it was about US 500 somewhere which is a bit ridiculous for a one time job. A group buy would be good but prefer more buyers to lower the cost.

I was thinking a group buy for the walnut blaster would be awesome. ECS sells one for about US 1k.

Love your build too Suresh. Its a beast! Congrats dude

Ya that's the one , around US $500 - I'll try and convince another 335i owner, but he hasn't done the conversion etc yet

thanks Drew :D

What are your thoughts on the car now mate after owning for a little while now. I'm looking at buying one shortly so keen to hear your thoughts. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey its interesting reading my original post and still never bothered to post pics. After owning for a while here are my thoughts.

For city and motorway driving its fantastic. Very comfortable and fast.

But you need to decide if you are a turbo kind of guy or not. Ive found that im not i prefer a high revving NA car. So im mulling over selling for something else. I hate turbo lag and when boost kicks in it throws you back and you get an awesome rush. Thats cool at traffic lights and on the motorway but in the twisties makes the car less controlled imo. After boosting you have to slam on the brakes to slow down and the car doesnt like high revving. It runs out of breath after 5K rpm.

I got BMW performance suspension shocks and kept the M-sport springs. Got them for cheap from E90post forum member. If i keep the car i might get Eicbach shocks.

I got the MHD tune which is very good and lot cheaper than JB4 and better since its a flash and not piggyback. Im running St 1 FMIC map which targets 18psi (stock is 8). Turns the car into a beast. If you get MHD buy it on a separate device/google account so you can sell it with the car.

At 100K+ kms the shocks will probably be shot. Also replace the front suspension bits with M3 arms and rods will make a nice difference. Not huge though. But tighter steering feel. By all accounts the best mod is the rear subframe bushings. Car is squishy in the rear under acceleration and can wander a bit if going at speed in a corner. I find that quite unsettling. If i keep the car will do this at some point. Get poly bushings like powerflex which you can get in without specials tools. Hacksaw and blowtorch will get the stock ones out :)

Car burns oil. I have to top up a litre about every 3 - 4k kms. And will leak oil. Oil filter gasket, valve cover and oil pan will probably need doing at some point past 100k kms.

HPFP should not be an issue for NZ and Jap cars. Seems only an issue for US cars because of crap fuel. And my waterpump still okay at 140k kms.

Intake cleaning you can diy which i recommend. Walnut blasting can clog the ports in the valve cover. Safer to soak the intake valves with a cleaner and scrub them clean/wipe up. Its a messy job but safer imo.

If you like modding then get N54 engine. And M-sport. High mileage i dont think is a problem for these cars the engines are reliable. Only thing is the turbos (ignoring oil leaks, shocks, bushings). And if you are going to up the boost then you are shortening the life of them anyway.

So depends on what you like. The 335i is the new supra and at some point 1000Hp will probably be reached with a single turbo conversion. New turbos are coming on the market in the states from pure and hexon. Hopefully there will be RHD options as well.

• Like 1

Thanks mate. Great summary. I've never owned a turbo car so not sure if I'm a turbo guy. In all honesty I think I would drive pretty slow 95% of the time and give it a bit of gas the other times. I'm driving a couple more later this week. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk