Sign in to follow this  
martyyyn

E34 click under drivers seat and now flat battery

The car has been running like a dream for god knows how long but yesterday I noticed a clicking under the driver seat which sounded like relay going on and off.

Tonight I get in the car and the battery is completely dead but I can still hear this clicking.

Is there a relay or something under there I need to check out ? They are electric but don't have memory.

Guest MP0wer

The car has been running like a dream for god knows how long but yesterday I noticed a clicking under the driver seat which sounded like relay going on and off.

Tonight I get in the car and the battery is completely dead but I can still hear this clicking.

Is there a relay or something under there I need to check out ? They are electric but don't have memory.

Has to be a short, or likely next culprit, bad relay if you have electronic seats.

Isn't there a fuse box or junction box under the driver seat?

There is a whole lot of electrical crap under the rear seat, could the noise be coming from there?

I did an 'electric delete mod' on my electric seats, and that was to lighten up and make things simpler.

My brake light switch made a distinct click but that's in front of the passenger firewall.

Tell us what it is if you find the culprit

Has to be a short, or likely next culprit, bad relay if you have electronic seats.

What? A short circuit will blow a fuse & a relay wont operate on its own.

Martyn - Check that a seat switch is not jammed "on" Have seen this occur in other vehicles.

Not sure on the seat motors in your car but they may have circuit breakers, in which case if this has occured then the circuit breaker could be tripping in & out.

Martyn - Check that a seat switch is not jammed "on" Have seen this occur in other vehicles.

Not sure on the seat motors in your car but they may have circuit breakers, in which case if this has occured then the circuit breaker could be tripping in & out.

Bang on the money Grant,

I removed the battery and charged it over night. Put it back in and I could hear the clicking again. Lifted the seat to look under it and the switch to extend the seat under the driver legs was stuck down. Flicked it off and no clicking.

Simplest fix ever and the car is back to driving like a dream again.